boosters

debs

Hi, ishas booster was due in feb and ive just realised, i thought it was in june for some reason, ive been told by several people that after they have had 7 they dont work anymore (much the same as humans having more that 4 tetanus jabs), do you know if this is true? if it is then i wont bother taking her in but if not then i will book her in to have the double (puppy) ones again as it will be nearly 2 months late, i cant belive i missed it as ive never forgoten in 10 years, also does anyone give herbal stuff instead of boosters as ive heard of this too but i have no idea if it works. thanks

I wouldn't bother about having the puppy ones again, the vaccines now apparently are good for at least 2 years, so she'll be fine with the booster. I would still get her done if you ever want or need to kennel her. Even if you don't usually, unless you can guarantee that in an emergency you have someone that could look after her, I'd get her done.

On the human tetanus thing, when I went to hospital with the bite, the A&E consultant said the same thing to me, I didn't need it. However, as it got infected and I ended up in hospital for 4 nights, I do wonder, and every other nurse and doctor said to me that I should have had it, so I don't know.

Anybody got any views on this

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

I remembered reading something about annual boosters and vaccines being linked to cancers and other diseases ...vaccinosis its called ,if you enter it in your search engine you`ll get all sorts of horror stories but like its already been said boarding kennels insist on annual boosters

thanks for that allanhughes, rep added, but now im even more in two minds about it lol. i dont need to use kennels as i have a 13 foot by 12 foot kennel and run in the garden (not that its used) but if i went away they would use that and i would have a local dog walker look after them if next door (koda09) couldnt do it, she usually lets them out in garden in morning and feeds them and lets them back in the house in the evening if im gone overnight but thats rare. does everyone else vaccinate all their dogs every year? we had an outbreak of parvo about 6 miles away last year and the police and vets had to remove ill dogs from a gypsie site near here as they had 30 dying dogs there, i couldnt live with myself if that happened again and she caught it but equally if she got ill from the booster it would be because of something i took her to have done and i would feel worse i think.

how about husky meets? how would everyone feel if i bought her to a meet unvacinated? would she carry things and pass them on? oh dear im really confused :(

Hi again Debs

Ive just read a bit further on and the advice that the North American vet schools are considering giving is ;

`Dogs and Cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months . If a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age ,it produces immunity , which is good for the life of the pet (i.e canine distemper , parvo , feline distemper ) If another MLV vaccine is given a year later , the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect . The titer is not boosted nor are more memory cells induced `

`Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary , they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia.There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines . Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks . Puppies and Kittens should NOT be vaccinated at less than 8 weeks.Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.Vaccination at 6 weeks will , however , delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine .Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system . A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age .Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 months )will provide lifetime immunity . `

Koda is 16 weeks today at for We took her to the vets for her PARVO shot, not taking any chances with our girly.

Hi again Debs

Ive just read a bit further on and the advice that the North American vet schools are considering giving is ;

`Dogs and Cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months . If a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age ,it produces immunity , which is good for the life of the pet (i.e canine distemper , parvo , feline distemper ) If another MLV vaccine is given a year later , the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect . The titer is not boosted nor are more memory cells induced `

`Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary , they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia.There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines . Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks . Puppies and Kittens should NOT be vaccinated at less than 8 weeks.Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.Vaccination at 6 weeks will , however , delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine .Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system . A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age .Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 months )will provide lifetime immunity . `

I agree with the above :)

I would give puppy vaccs, then another vacc one year after the last puppy vacc and then I would titre test each year or vaccinate every three years.

I had Scooby n Nook done on Wed the yearly vac.................................

But i had a close friend who says Vacs r just a vets money maker !

I got Scooby n Nanook done + Nanooks Kennel cough £62 pounds !

Nook always gets ill so he gets the k but still very EXPENSIVE.

I dont know wot 2 think...........................

IS IT A MONEY MAKER OR NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!