Taming the Husky Hurricane - A Plea for Guidance

Hello👋,

I'm reaching out to the Husky community in hopes of finding some expert advice. My furry tornado, a two-year-old Siberian Husky named Max, has recently joined our family. While he's a bundle of pure joy, his boundless energy and independent spirit are presenting some challenges.

Max is a whirlwind of activity, and his boredom often manifests as destructive behavior, like turning my furniture into chew toys. Leash walks have also become a battle of wills, with him constantly pulling me in every direction. I've tried various training methods, but nothing seems to consistently work.

I understand Huskies are known for their high energy and strong personalities. I'm eager to learn from those who've successfully navigated these waters. What training strategies or tools have been your lifesavers? Any advice on managing their boundless energy and teaching them leash manners would be greatly appreciated.

I have also checked this resource on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1vuhgc/ms-certifications-bng_plea_for_guidance/ While this resource provided a helpful starting point, I believe there's a wealth of knowledge within this community that can further inform my efforts.but

Thank you 🙏for sharing your wisdom and experiences. I'm committed to providing Max with the best possible life.

Hi Grace,  welcome to the wonderful world of wilful huskies!

I have two (both rescues),  one of them, Mikey, will walk quite nicely on lead now - IF he is on his own,  if, however he is with my other one, Marley  (airhead, wilful, far too intelligent, wants to get 500yards away NOW! boy)  - then we have big trouble.    I have had Marley in professional training twice  -  for a year at a time, costing me quite a few hundred pounds,  the little tyke will behave wonderfully for me  IF  the trainer is there and watching  - if not then I am pulled all over the place.    He was like that when I got him at 12 weeks old  - he is now  8.5y.o.   He went through puppy training classes - and in class behaved magnificently, a star pupil in everything  - gaining his 'good citizen' certificate a week ahead of schedule ............. however as soon as the bell went for home time - he would yank me out of the class as though the hounds of hell were at his heels.   I have had all breeds from greyhounds to borzois over the last 55 years  (am 74) and never had a dog I could not train (before).   The trainer I used is the best there is  - it can take nearly a year to get a slot with him  (behavourist as well as trainer  -  working for the Doberman rescue society as well as our largest local rescue centre  - taking abused/aggressive/most difficult cases).

If really feel for you  -  as you can see you are not alone.    However I would recommend a really good trainer/behavourist.     I got Mikey to walk nicely by :-

If he pulled me forward I just stopped walking  (did not pull him back to me just left him at full extent of the lead  -  waiting for him to look round to see why we were not moving, praising him, calling him back to me and making him wait for about ten seconds - then starting again  - if he got to the end of the lead and pulled again  - I just repeated  -  again, and again, and again, and again  - until he finally realised that pulling would get him nowhere - fast.

With Marley, I still do this and after about half an hour I can walk at a normal pace - for up to 20 yards or so  - then he just gets fed up and starts pulling again so we have to start again.    Its just as well I have a large garden and two dogs - as they can run each other ragged off lead so they do get their exercise.