Service dog in training ghost

Angel86

On 9/22/2024 at 12:59 AM, wolfpup said:

Welcome to the forum.   What can you tell us about Ghost?

Well I got ghost as a potential service dog in training for psychiatric reasons I am a suffer of epilepsy and a couple different mental health issues but ghost is a rescue he was 6 months old and I found him on Facebook a girl giving him away talking about she had to give him that day she would even bring them to us for free if we could just take him and I really needed someone to keep me company as my husband's always in and out of the house doing Uber I figured out quickly the ghost had no training also this is my first husky I've had dogs my whole life but ghost would be my first husky I have had however because of health issues is hard for me now to get out of bed that often without help also I cannot have get Ghost listen to anything I say he loves to chase balls he loves to chase quickie toys he loves you. Because of the Husky however it's hard for me to get outside I actually was hoping that maybe somebody could tell me how to adapt training to where I could maybe be proactive in it but also the dog seems to have more of a liking for my husband

Thank you for your reply  - and I am sorry for your issues.

Huskies are not exactly biddable   -    they will only do something if they see an advantage in it for themselves   -  a successful service dog is more likely to be a Labrador.     

Don't get me wrong,  huskies are VERY smart  -   just not very trainable for the average person.     Is it at all possible to try Ghost with a fully qualified trainer who maybe has experience with huskies?

14 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Thank you for your reply  - and I am sorry for your issues.

Huskies are not exactly biddable   -    they will only do something if they see an advantage in it for themselves   -  a successful service dog is more likely to be a Labrador.     

Don't get me wrong,  huskies are VERY smart  -   just not very trainable for the average person.     Is it at all possible to try Ghost with a fully qualified trainer who maybe has experience with huskies?

Not really because I live off disability and that barely makes months to month

16 hours ago, Angel86 said:

Not really because I live off disability and that barely makes months to month

I understand -  I am a pensioner myself so I know what it is like to be on a strict budget.    Then the only thing I can suggest is patience  -  LOTS of it  (and treats).