HOW DID YOU NAME YOUR HUSKY ?

Andy

Sooooo. . . .

How did you name your Huskies. .(or any pet for that matter) ??

We have had Cats and Gerbils and Rats and Russian Dwarf Hamsters and budgies and other dogs before getting Koda

And we’ve always gone through a torturous process in finding suitable names.

We always start off by getting each member of the family to write down as many names as they can come up with,

fun/cute /silly/absurd/normal or just plain boring all are considered.

We try to take in to account any striking physical markings or differences.

We then combine all the lists and give each family member a copy of the master list.

Each person then has to choose thier top 5 names.

We then combine the top 5’s and go around again until we have whittled several hundred names down to 5 that we all sort of like. . . .

Now we get to the SHOUTY phase. . .lol

We shout the names as if calling our dogs from a distance to see how they sound. . .coz. . .

When your dog manages to get away from you and is barrelling across the park with the intention of

inserting something physically into another dog, nose or. . .erm. . other bits. . . . or. . .deciding

that , that teacup Yorkshire terrier is the ugliest cat its ever seen and well. . .it just has to be eaten.

You are gonna start bellowing its name to get it to come back, stop or otherwise distract it.

It’s at this point that “Veridian Gargoyle Saccharine Snugglebunniesâ€Â

sounds utterly stupid as you leg it after your dog screaming THAT at the top of your lungs.

Or if you have given it what you consider to be a suitable name for your so cute puppy. . .remember when half a ton of Rottwieler is going like a freight train away from you,

and you are shouting “Peanut!!!! come back Peanutâ€Â

Many really great names have been discarded at the Shouty phase.

So we are now down to a couple of names and we just start saying them to get a feel, does the dog respond, am I comfortable with the name?

At this point we've ended up throwing the whole lot out

because one of us says a name randomly out of the blue that makes everone go. . .â€ÂOooooh yeahâ€Â

Such was the case with both Echo and Koda.

LOL. . .

So how do you name your dogs. . . .

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ROFL!! Andy, it's usually like that with us!

Diesel was already named when we got him at 6 yrs old, so felt we couldn't change it, but as he's red, Diesel fitted him!

As for Myshka, we had seen her at the breeders for 3 weeks before we picked her up, the breeder nicknamed her Peanut due to her colouring, but we didn't want that. We picked her up at 10 weeks old & for the next 2 weeks, we still couldn't decide on a name. We searched every dog name website going & couldn't agree on anything.

One day, at the local pet shop, looking for dog stuff, there was a huge white pompom (pomeranian) that refused to do anything (come, walk, sit, nothing!). The owner was getting very embarrased & eventually picked this big white fluffball up, saying "Myshka, I wish you'd do as you're told just once!" That was it! We loved the name so got a name tag done for her there & then .... and I must say, the stubbornness must go with the name, as our Myshka acts the same as that pom did that day!! :lol:

I leave the naming to my wife. She does research on names, like what they mean, their origin. She chose Zoya for Zoya. If I had named Zoya, her name would probably be Fido.

ROFL!! Andy, it's usually like that with us!

Diesel was already named when we got him at 6 yrs old, so felt we couldn't change it, but as he's red, Diesel fitted him!

As for Myshka, we had seen her at the breeders for 3 weeks before we picked her up, the breeder nicknamed her Peanut due to her colouring, but we didn't want that. We picked her up at 10 weeks old & for the next 2 weeks, we still couldn't decide on a name. We searched every dog name website going & couldn't agree on anything.

One day, at the local pet shop, looking for dog stuff, there was a huge white pompom (pomeranian) that refused to do anything (come, walk, sit, nothing!). The owner was getting very embarrased & eventually picked this big white fluffball up, saying "Myshka, I wish you'd do as you're told just once!" That was it! We loved the name so got a name tag done for her there & then .... and I must say, the stubbornness must go with the name, as our Myshka acts the same as that pom did that day!! :lol:

Oh, God . . .whatever you do don't tell Myshka that she's named after a poofball. . .she'll get a strop on and not talk to you for weeks. . lolsmile.gif

lmfao

Pretty much similar to you to be honest - marc goes through a stoopid phase (nothing new there rolleyes.gif ) and decides he wants to call the dog "come here" or something equally silly blink.gif

Yep I've always gone througha phase where I'm definately gonna call the dog "Oi !!!!!!"

"Oi!!!!" Stop it

"Oi!!!!" Put that down

"Oi!!!!" come here

"Oi!!!!" leave that alone

"Oi!!!!" get outta the bin

"Oi!!!!" you can do that outside

"Oi!!!!" be quiet

"Oi!!!!" get off the seat

"Oi!!!!" move

I thought everbodies dog was called Oi!!!!

well i want zolah to be called ...nushka but got shouted at ..and demon i wanted him to be ...nanook but again got shouted at ..so i just said call them wot u bloody want then ha ha yes i was in a mood laugh.giflaugh.gif so the kids and paul named them and i just shook my head and agreed lol

but i said when we get another ..yes another hee hee it s all mine to name lol xxbiggrin.gif

well we looked for traditional sibe names ........and KODAH just sounded cool and it fits his personality well...his full name is kodah storm...because he wreaked havoc everwhere...no he's over 1 y/o..so he is lazy now known as kodah bear or as the kids say ...( big buloog ) his storm days are done...kodah was the CALM AFTER the storm!!

kasha original owners named her passion which i didnt like so we re-named her .....something catchy for when at dog park......k&k kodah &kasha!!! new life new name!!! besides she likes it, kasha told me so!!!

Well I knew I wanted either a Inuit name or a Native American name so I researched and cross reserached on the net (after finding out that alot of names that people think mean one thing actually mean something totally different (I think the example given was that most people think Shyann means eagle but it actually means skirt, somthing like that I cant remeber exactly, one of the main reasons I'd never get a tatoo in chinese or somthing I'd be worried that the tatoo artist would have a wickid sense of humor and tatoo somthing with Tw@t on me or sumut!)

Aaaaanyway One of the first names I found was Nukka - Inuit for Little sister, I added it to my list and then consulted my O/H and he liked it too so when went to see our girl and I fell in love we told the breeder that was the name we had picked out and they started calling her it from that day on!

Now I just need to get her a big brother so the names REALLY fitting!! How do I convince the hubby and landlady that two dogs are better than one??? Any ideas????

My husband and I couldn't decide on a name for Ozzy. For the first few days we watched him falling over his own feet and running into things and my husband one day said 'the dog is doing his Ozzy Osbourne impersonation', and as we are Rock/Metal music fans, the name stuck. Micah had her name when we got her, but we changed the spelling from Meeka to Micah.

Andy - when my husband calls Ozzy he calls him Oi !!!

Andy - when my husband calls Ozzy he calls him Oi !!!

Lol. . .see. . . it's the universal dog name. . . tongue.gif

lol... i just googled isha's name and got.....islington and shoreditch housing associatin!

luckily it also means, goddess, and one who protects. also is the name of a prayer aswell

i just liked the name.

Keira was already called keira when we got her so i have no idea what it means, was going to change it to akeira cos i saw it while looking for inuit names for someone else but i cant find it now to find out what it means ......lol

We named my littlest one Gizmo because when she got mad she looked like a Gremlin and Lakota was almost called Quill. But that didn't fit him well so we tried to decide between Shango or Lakota. Lakota just fit. In this pic she is mad cuz she hates her legs/paws to be touched and under her chin lol

post-1339-13585949002168_thumb.jpg

Ours was called Oscar when we rescued him but he didn't really respond to it so we call him Ozzy but when he's being a pain we call him Grouch (as in oscar the grouch!) lol I can't wait to get another one to keep him company and am on the lookout for ones that need a new home (this means daily visits to the dogs homes websites for our area!!)

Diz

xxx

me and my little brother saww blaze when he was 4 days old - we got home and thought we wud write a list ov names and we cud chose when we finally got him we told our mum the names we had chosen she was like erm no i dont like them then she went ohmy.gif ! BLAZE! and it stuck - Skyla was originally called Roxy but we didnt like it so i was lookin at her pic and thinking ov names and thought - blue eyes - white n fluffy like a cloud! SKYE! told mum and she went i like Skyla and thats that lol

Bingo was called bingo when we got him at 3yrs old and we cudnt think ov a name 2 change it 2 but it suits him so we kept it :)

Smithys name came from an old 1970's programme. Looking wolf-like decided not to call him Wolfie, but otherwise Smithy as the characters name was Wolfie Smith (Citizen Smith). Noushka came with her name, and we liked it.

Barry, our bullwhipman x pseudo Husky, came to us with his 7 brothers and sisters aged 1 week old. As Barry was the biggest white one we decided to name him after said singer...biggrin.gif

Mickeys "full name" is actually Michelob. I don't even remember HOW that came about, but when we were paying for him at the animal control she asked what's his name and i just spit it out. So it's Mickey for short rolleyes.gif. Cheyenne kind of just came about, but it fits her so well, very dainty and feminine- just like she is.

Mishka I wanted to name Ashka. Her name was originally "Kissenia" i later found out. Ew. hah! So when i brought "Ashka" home, everyone REFUSED to call her that, or just would "forget" that was her name. She's a little stocky and has this serious "i mean business" face so everyone started calling her "Mishka Dog" with a fake Russian accent. It's very amusing... i even do it now rolleyes.gif People must think i'm crazy, since i talk to the other dogs in a normal, american voice lol

Raleigh was named a lot like Mickey, I had NO idea what in the world i was going to call him and she asked and it came out! lol I've always wanted to name my Red/white Sibe that i plan to get in my future (rolleyes.gif) Arthas. But Raleigh was just too goofy for that biggrin.gif