an interesting convo this morning

ade hill

old lady------ i think its cruel you keep huskys in this country, they must overheat and get ill in the summer

me-------------no they are fine they regulate thier body temperature diffrently to us....

old lady------dont be stupid, they must sweat buckets in the summer

me--------- actually dogs cool themselves by panting and through the pads of thier feet too, so they dont sweat like we do

old lady----dont be a moron, my dog (a westy) sweats all the time, what a stupid thing to say

me---------(silence and a gobsmacked expression)

old lady----stupid man, its so cruel, like keeping a polar bear.....

me----(walking away quickly from the mad old lady)

Don't you just LOVE running into those kind of people who insist they know every single thing there is to know about everything and are never ever open to learn new things?

Just makes my day those people. lol

Nah really, I have too much of a smart mouth. She would have slapped me by the time I was finished talking to her. rofl

Would she say the same thing to some one with an Old English Sheepdog they are furrier than husky's but because they are "English" well they must be used to the weather. . .laugh.gif

Mad old boot, but if I can defend her a little about 10 years ago in Egypt for the 1st time I came across a husky and it was 35+c and remember thinking at the time this is just not right this dog should be in the snow but looked happy enough lying in the sunshine.

P.S this was about 5 years before I got Saskia and knew nothing about Huskys at all biggrin.gif

LOL oh dear I shouldn't laugh but wow that's pretty funny. I remember thinking along similar lines when encountering people who have huskies in Texas, California, and the hotter states here. My roomate put me in touch with his friend in Texas that has a male husky and I asked him how his dog handles the heat and he says he is just fine. Just goes to show you dogs are much more adaptable than people at times ^_^

LOL oh dear I shouldn't laugh but wow that's pretty funny. I remember thinking along similar lines when encountering people who have huskies in Texas, California, and the hotter states here. My roomate put me in touch with his friend in Texas that has a male husky and I asked him how his dog handles the heat and he says he is just fine. Just goes to show you dogs are much more adaptable than people at times happy.gif

how very right you are, My dog can handle -40c, Because shes adapted to that, If I was to bring her to A warmer climate, It would take a while but she would get used to it, Just like I'm sure If any of you guys brought your Huskys to canada It would take a bit but they would get used to the cold weather, People are so stupid sometimes....loltongue.gif

We had a similar experience, but with people we know. Mick (Raindog) gave me excellent advice (as usual) and I e-mailed the info to them. Worked like a charm, and they both apologized for criticizing our choice to own a husky before doing their homework on the breed.