Wolfman teaching pup to howl

Sarah

Maybe it's me, but why on earth should a wolf need a human to teach it to howl????????????

Our pups have always managed to howl quite naturally on their own with no encouragement from us. The only thing we teach them is that there are times when it is OK to howl and times when it is not (ie when they are at home and likely to annoy the neighbours). I saw the TV programmes about Shaun Ellis some time ago and I have to say my considered opinion was - What a prat!

Mick

Not knowing this guy or the story what so ever I'd venture to guess that maybe the pup is an orphan? Or maybe the guy wants to teach it HIS howl as a bonding experience?

Nah - he's just a prat! Wolves should live in the wild, not in some wannabee's back yard.

Mick

I watch all wolf related programs on TV and Shaun Ellis' series is on cable here at the moment. On an episode I watched last week he 'forced' his wife to go into the enclosure carrying meat and to run with it, the idea was that the wolves would then chase her and grab the meat in the 'correct' way. She was terrified, but did it. The fear on her face was evident and she was shaking when she left the enclosure. I agree with Mick he is a 'prat'.

Very cute video

I was going to make a post asking about howling

Max was hit every time he barked howled ect as a pup

(owner was very please at the fact she made him a silent dog and told us a quick slap will shut him up poor guy)

when we got him he didn’t make a sound was very odd getting a silent dog but over the months we have got him to speak but still no howl no bark, the same with yuki she was hit for howling, but we was hopping with her being so much younger there was a chance to get her howling.

So how do we do it, we have tried howling clips, being around our friend’s husky’s and mals with them howling nothing, if anything yuki is scared silly by it

So any ideas suggestions, or is it a lost cause for them both?

aww poor things :(

When they make a noise - praise them and give a treat - they will soon learn that being noisy is good as it gives nice things in return - once you start them though they may not stop so you've been warned laugh.gif