Twisted Stomach

KSNS

Just a question and i hope im right area as could possibly go under food..

I know of a few huskies who have had twisted gut which is not nice an can come back easily when had it once.

My Sakari, eats laying down and i have heard it increases the risk by quiet a lot. Is this true and if so how can i make her eat standing up..?

I have tried the raised stands she just sretches up her neck an remains laying down.

I have put it on sofa but she wont touch her food as i have always taught her to not have any food untill it is given to her despite i have encouraged her to take it while its on sofa.

I'm prob reading to much in to it but ya never know.

Keath, Sakari blink.gif

You can never be too careful Keath.

You're just trying to keep Sakari healthy.

You may have a period of re-training to get her to eat standing up.

At first you may have to stand with the bowl at head height so you are still giving him the food

until he gets the idea that he has to stand to eat.

then a head height stand or as you have tried, putting the bowl on something at the right height.

Then when he has been standing and eating for a while drop the bowl back to the floor and see if he stays standing.

If he reverts straight back to lying down, you may have to keep it elevated.

A lot of work but at least you'll have peace of mind about the twisted gut. . .

good luck.biggrin.gif

I have never heard of this increasing the risk of bloat, have you got a link to an article?

Kira always eats laying down, every single time, never had a problem, she eats raw so lays down to get a good munch on.

Dont feed her from a raised surface, as this is proven to increase the risk (however it used to be thought that it reduced the risk, further studies have shown that it has the opposite effect), the only time they should be used is with breeds who need to be fed from raised bowls, like greyhounds.