aggresive towards strangers huh ??

Jamie_426

oscar is a brilliant dog i have i run him and walk him everyday when we go out he loves his turf, but he doesn't take kindly to complete strangers or any new come in and try dominate him

i know it's very not common in huskys aggresion towards strangers but hes fine when hes out the house but

yesterday the engineer come to sort the boiler and i let him in and he jumped up at the man appeard friendly then the man stroked him he growled viciously so i had to take him out of the house whilst the engineer sorted the problem

he did the same thing with a gas man bit without the growl he just nipped as a first warning but it must of hurt the man cause he shouted as i took him away

just wondering anyone else experienced this ???

I haven't no :(

Is he like this with "regular" visitors - friends / family etc? Maybe arrange for people to come to your house throughout the day - have him on a training line then when he's sat and calm, ask them to give him a treat and a welcome pet

hes fine with people he knows only if they dont make a fuss or if they try tell him to sit and command then his hair on his back goes up and when they try something he tends to growl but this isnt conssitently with people he knows hes alot worse with complete strangers yet he doesnt like my brother because hes very big he raised a hand at oscar and oscar growled and got ready for the moment but hes not a regualr visitor mainly

it is strangers hes worst with but people he knows it depends on how they are if you know what i mean if they ignore him let him smell and sometimes hes fine but depends what ocar decides tbh

Odin does not like it if people just come over and go to touch him, he's best if left till he goes to them. he snapped once at a man a few doors down, he's known him from being 8 weeks old. We did figger it out it was the coat he had on a red one.

Odin did not snap at the man but went to grab his sleeve, i have a reddish/pink top Odin hates it, he always snapps at my sleeve and pull it.

Strange it's only that colour he does not seem to like xxx

Chewy has been doing something simillar to this for a long time. He never does it at the dog park, but with strangers on walks if they

try to touch him without being checked out first he growls. Chewy has also taken to barking incessantly when I invite someone into

the house, and the only time he doesnt do it is with me, the kids, my husband and the pizza guy, lol...but not really funny. Ive had to

start some very strict training (on leash) in the house whenever friends come over. He does not like to be bossed around by company

either so he woo-woo's and barks at them for that. It has been getting very hard to spend time with friends at my house for all his

barking madness, I mean it goes and goes from the time they come in til the time they leave.

Yesterday we had a great day with one of my friends who comes over because both boys were on leash, attached to me, and unable

to bark, jump, or make menaces of themselves. After about half an hour they relaxed and were completely quiet so I had my friend

greet them (not them greet her) and then once they had gotten patted and sat back down again, I let them off lead to roam and

they did very well the rest of the night. I will probably do this same exercise 2 or 3 more times with both dogs whenever friends come

over. Actually, i am going to do it at least 3 more times.

The exercise was shorter for me because these two boys are more than a year old and in general they are well behaved, so it only

lasted a short time because they knew what I wanted them to do. Ive heard that sometimes this exercise can take an hour or more

but I will say that if you put the time into it, you will appreciate the rewards and also you will love not having to pay a trainer.

There are two very important rules to follow during this exercise. First there cannot be any patting or any form of attention given by the

visitor or any other person but you until the dog or dogs respond and do what you need them to do. (ie. it is fine to use the leash, bring

the dog back up close to you, tell them sit, and if need be press their bottom down). no patting, no praising. Also, in order to be sure they

are getting the point they have to be sitting or laying down and not rigid or overly alert or overly excited. If they sit quietly and calmly for

around 4 minutes (as close to 4 minutes as you can get) and allow the friend or other person to walk up and greet them without jumping

up and around then the person may continue to greet them. If the dog shows signs that they are going to jump as the person comes to

them, then tell the person not to pat or praise and to walk away again without saying anything.

All dogs are different. Chewy only took that one go round and he was truly relaxed and ready to behave. Achilles on the other hand took

2 go rounds and an extra few minutes to relax again so I knew he would behave when I allowed him off the leash.

(I had tried before to let the dogs greet the people after they had sat and relaxed, but that didnt work for us, so I tweaked it to make it

right for us). Sometimes you just have to be a little creative to find what works.

Great advice Erika, Will try this if Koda has any episodes. . +1

i havent had a problem untill last week when demon growled at a judge at a show(male) and then again the other day when he was being fitted for a harness (again male) but it is only with males he doesnt know and its only been since the man hit him in the face the other week with a extendable lead so i think that was the cause of it for us as he has never done anything like that before and i have 18month old twin boys that are only learning to be gentle with the dogs and demon has always been so good with them. i am going to try and just build his confidence with strange men again and hope it ressolves

By the way I dont think that In this case or in any case a person should go directly to thinking that barking, growling, woo-wooing, jumping etc,

should always be considered as aggression. In chewys case and even mildly with achilles I think it is dominence over strangers and people who

do not live with you and/or in your home full time. I also think that a part of it is just over excited play so its about teaching them to greet everyone

and play with them the same way they do with you. I dont really believe its aggression inside the home, although it could be with strangers on the street.

Keep in mind that the bigger they get, the deeper, lower and more menacing their woooooo-woooooo growl can sound, and that some huskies and malamutes play growl alot, and its not meant as aggression and often is just play and not even dominence.

Ive heard that sometimes this exercise can take an hour or more

but I will say that if you put the time into it, you will appreciate the rewards and also you will love not having to pay a trainer.

Totally agree with all your post but wanted to quote this best bit above.....consistency time and patience is needed with all types of training. Glad you found something that worked erika and +1 for such an informative post :)

By the way I dont think that In this case or in any case a person should go directly to thinking that barking, growling, woo-wooing, jumping etc,

should always be considered as aggression. In chewys case and even mildly with achilles I think it is dominence over strangers and people who

do not live with you and/or in your home full time. I also think that a part of it is just over excited play so its about teaching them to greet everyone

and play with them the same way they do with you. I dont really believe its aggression inside the home, although it could be with strangers on the street.

Keep in mind that the bigger they get, the deeper, lower and more menacing their woooooo-woooooo growl can sound, and that some huskies and malamutes play growl alot, and its not meant as aggression and often is just play and not even dominence.

Totally agree. I once met a Husky (not a Sibe, as he was a good 90lbs) that growled at me behind his fenced in yard. I entered the yard, not showing any fear, and he jumped up on me. For most people, this probably would have scared the hell of them, but I never had met a Husky aggressive towards adults. In the end, my hunch was correct, he just wanted to play.

Beautiful Husky btw, nearly solid black with bright blue eyes, named Storm.

With that said, it's been known that dogs know when humans fear them, and they act on it. Ya never know.

no ones ever hurt him hes just like that

even with bones he growls and snaps at anyone else when they try get his bone but when i get the bone he lets me .

i just think hes loyal and he will sense how the strangers feels maybe but thankyou all for your advise

He's not being loyal, my bet he is insecure.

This is not normal behaviour, it is a very serious problem and I strongly advise you to get a reputable behaviourist in ASAP - before this behaviour escalates.