HELP!!!!

yong

hi... a few week ago i receive a husky from my brother friend.. the Husky was already 1 and a half year old and the problem is that he was very scare of me or my family... the owner willing to give up the dog is because of the monochid or single testicle that make the dog unable to complete in any competition. The dog in a very good shape and a healthy too. now he doesn't eat must of the food that i was giving him. is there any way or anything that can make him feel secure and able to trust me...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Yong

Welcome to the pack

What food are you giving him?

if in doubt Huskies will eat chicken, they love almost any kind of RAW meat.

it is a shame that he has been given away just because he does not meet show standards.

but it is your good fortune. . . You have inherited a wonderful pet.

he will need LOTS of exercise.

Good luck let us know how he gets on

Hey Yong, welcome to the pack :)

sorry to hear about your problems with your new husky :( it may just be because its all new to him- he wont be used to you yet so it may be making him abit nervous, especially if he aint used to being around other people...nothing alot of and attention cant fix :)

i agree with Andy...raw chicken works a treat on any husky!!!!

hope he settles with you soon...keep us posted :)

Tami x x

hi welcome to the pack :) such a nice thing of you to do for this dog :) he will probably need a few days/weeks to settle in like andy says give him some raw chicken or any raw meat (raw chicken bones are ok as they are soft and wont splinter) and give him sum treats - also if you fuss him fuss him under his chin dont put your hand OVER his head as he is already scared this can seem like a threat to a nervous dog - also if hes only got the 1 testicle he will need to be neutered - the undecended testicle can cause problems if not removed - such as testicular cancer - so i would book him in to see a vet as soon as possible to get that arranged - cant wait to see some pictures of your new husky - whats his name? :)

While above is correct my sakari will not touch any raw meat what so ever i have to semi cook it so still has the goodnes that raw meat offers and i know some say huskies will starve them selves im aware of this but its not an on off thing its 24/7 since i had her she will not touch it lol...

Trust from ur dog will come from not being the awwww type owner it will come from the you leading and guiding him.

when he realises you are the hand that will give him what he needs he will come to you its time and bonding.

welcome to the site :-)

hi and welcome to the pack :) Sad that he was given up just because he didnt meet show standards, there's more to huskies than "just" showing them. But well done to you for taking him on and giving him a loving home.

He may be a bit unsettled at the moment - when you feed him, leave the food down for 10 to 15 mins if he's not eaten it by then, remove and do not feed until the next meal time.....he will soon learn to eat when it's there :)

You CAN feed cooked meat but raw is better and please do not feed COOKED bones as these can splinter.

Look forward to seeing you around and hearing how he settles in - please post up some pictures so we can all see how gorgeous he is :D

Hi, welcome to the pack!! Ocsar is very beautiful!

Try to find some treats that he will really like, try some cooked sausage, the tinned hot dog styles ones, they smell real good to dogs when cooked. Slice them up and then sit on the floor while holding them, and see if he will come to you, if he does give him a bit of the sausage, if he will come a little bit but not all the way, throw it on the floor in front of him. Once he is happy being close to you try slowly trying to touch under his chin, or his legs, somewhere on his body that he can see your hand.

It may sound very weird, but when you are around him try yawning a lot and not giving him eye contact, and try licking your lips a lot aswell. Sounds really strange but these are calming signals to dogs.

You could also try getting some Rescue Remedy spray and spraying some on your clothes and his bed. And a DAP diffuser, which plugs into your plug socket. These are both calming remedies, you should ask your vet about them.

Good luck, he will take time to come around, my husky was also very scared of me when I got her

I would definitely suggest getting him neutered as soon as possible. The fact that your vet said it's nothing to worry about makes me think you should find another vet. He is quite gorgeous, i don't know who could give him away!

Also, to help with him getting used to you, never sit or stand directly in front of him. Try to kneel down or sit to the side of him and if he's comfortable with that you can slowly leave your hand to him (palm down). Just take things slow, but also don't let him rule the roost. Better dogs come from homes with structure. Dogs live in the moment, it's people who dwell on the past!

Good luck!

And will you be renaming him?

Arooroomom : i also wanted to rename him but when i thinking bout the name was already been to him for more than 1 year ... even if i change the name he wont know that somebody is calling him...

The dap spray would it have any side effect...

yong

my gsd was 18 months when we got her and we changed her name from ginny to echo, we thought new owners new start. dogs only notice the tone in which you call their name, so if you call him something else and reward him when he responds to the new name then it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i do some research on the internet regarding the 1 testicle problem a lot of them suggested to remove or else may cause more in the future. this what currently scare of.

Try to ask the opinion of different vets in order to take the best decision.

Guys I have a question regarding the raw meat. I've read in your posts that most of you give your sibes raw meat are you sure that that's ok? I am new at breeding huskies (and dogs in general) and that's why I spend most of my spare time reading books about dogs and in some of them the author said never feed the dog raw meet because he might get ill (get bacteria or parasites). Did you give your sibes raw meet from the beginning or after someone advised you?