HELP!!!!

yong

Guys I have a question regarding the raw meat. I've read in your posts that most of you give your sibes raw meat are you sure that that's ok? I am new at breeding huskies (and dogs in general) and that's why I spend most of my spare time reading books about dogs and in some of them the author said never feed the dog raw meet because he might get ill (get bacteria or parasites). Did you give your sibes raw meet from the beginning or after someone advised you?

Raw meat is perfect for Sibes. As long as you store it the same way you would store meat for human consumption i.e. in the fridge or freezer then it is fine.

Buy your meat from a good supermarket or good quality butcher and freeze it on the day of purchase, no problems.

Defrost it in the fridge overnight to feed the next day. All these things will limit the amount of bacteria in the meat.

The only meat to be careful of is liver which must be given in very small quantities.

Feeding RAW improves your dogs coat and energy levels.

You will find they are calmer because they are not "hyped" up by all the additives in processed dog foods.

Hope this helps

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Alina 2 of mine are rehomes so did not get raw from the start, i strted feeding raw about 6 months ago. I did this coz my lil girl was alil thin, the raw as done a great job and she loves it as does my boy, she as put on weight and looks great her fur is lovely and they are so healthy.

If your like me and i was not sure at first so i started by just giving them two chicken wings each and watched them, they ate them with no problems and wanted more.

So just give 1/2 and see how it goes xxxx

You need to Chat to Sinead . .AKA sid_wolf she is our resident RAW expert and can guide you based on the age and weight of your husky

lol i was just going to say if you PM Sid-wolf she will do you a full diat menu fryour dog xxxx

HAH! I type like the Wind. . . lol laugh.gif

hey,

I gave Athos today a chicken leg (the inferior part) and I think he thought it was a new toy :D :D, he took it and started to play with it. I left him alone with it but I think he buried it in the garden :D. I'll try again to give him raw, but if he continues to play with it I'll give up. Sincerely I never imagined that a dog would play with raw meat :D :D

While it's difficult to deal with, you must always remember that trust is earned, not just given.

It may take your husky a bit longer to warm up to you before he stops exhibiting this 'scared' reaction. (Even when we 'know' the person we've re-homed from, we may not know everything about that owner's relationship with the husky. I'm not saying anything bad about the previous owner, I'm saying that this could be your huskies reaction to something that happen previously). It could also be just the general personality of your husky. Be patient, once your husky feels you've earned his/her trust, you'll be the first to know.

Also, be aware that huskies in general are very independent. Ask yourself if the dog is actually exhibiting a 'scared' behavior or if he is being a typical husky and being 'stand-offish'.......

As for food, all huskies enjoy their chicken - follow the advice of others in this area.

hey,

I gave Athos today a chicken leg (the inferior part) and I think he thought it was a new toy :D :D, he took it and started to play with it. I left him alone with it but I think he buried it in the garden :D. I'll try again to give him raw, but if he continues to play with it I'll give up. Sincerely I never imagined that a dog would play with raw meat :D :D

it may take him awhile 2 get used 2 the raw meet when we gave blaze his 1st bits ov chicken he used 2 throw it up in the air pounce on it bat it with his paws ect - EVENTUALLY he decided he wud try and chew it - next thing we know he had finally eaten it lol - give him time he will eat it eventually - u cud try other meats aswell beef tripe lamb pork ect it doesnt just have 2 b chicken :)

Hey Guy thanks for the previous advise now...

he no longer feel afraid of us anymore and he eat a lot almost double the amount when he rehome ...

but he still wont eat any of the raw meat i give him???i just give him a raw drumstick he.

is it because of the he not use to it???

and another thing is that everyday i will go out for a jog... i always take him with me...

and i was jogging and he is walking slowly... is there anyway that i make him jog or maybe walk faster?

i will post up the latest picture of him... TQ

that's great that he's not afraid anymore and is eating better, you've done great :up:

Jogging everyday with him may be a bit much at first as he's not used to it, maybe do it 3 times a week to start, and walk the other times so he can see the difference between a walk and a run.