New person!

cookiemonster

Hello, my names Dan, ive just recently purchased a house for me and my girlfriend and was looking at adding another member to the household! Ive wanted a husky since i was a kid but only seriously looked into it for the past couple of years. There is one slight problem, my girlfriend is unsure that a husky would be best suited to us as shes only ever seen poorly trained dogs that a couple of friends have. Just as an example that it is bad behaviour and not just normal husky behaviour, our friends husky is a mal, but it will never do anything its told. It jumps up as soon as they stand up and will climb up on them if they eat diner in the lounge taking food off the plate dispite being told not too. It jumps all over the furniture and clearly thinks its the Alpha of the house.

Having seen all this my girlfriend thinks that this behaviour will be the same as if we got one and im eager to show her that although huskys are very energetic that with the right training, and ensuring they get the exercise they require, a husky can be a great family member.

So is there anyone in the Norwich/Norfolk area that would be willing to show my girlfriend a better trained Husky?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan. Welcome to the Pack. I'm in the US so not much help other than to say this: Your friend's Husky was not properly trained, socialized, nor propery treated with quality time and interaction. I can say from experience, we are now on our second Husky. We learned so much from our first, and found that proper interaction, involvement with the dog, working with the dog, and being both fair and consistent, went a long way to having a Husky that is an absolute dream to have around. Also, a well exercised Husky is a good Husky. Maybe your friends don't give theirs enough exercise. Just some thoughts.

welcome to the pack dan :) we have 3 dogs 2 ov which are huskies - Blaze never jumps up he never steals food and doesnt jump up on the furniture unless invited - skyla is really well behaved aswell but we still need 2 work on her as weve only had her for nearly 3 weeks - good luck in changing ur GFs mind :)

Hey Welcome to the site! smile.gif I am in Ipswich so you are free to come & visit our two if you like. Don't worry they are well trained wink.gif one is only 13 weeks the other is 16 months. We sometimes go to Thetford forest to walk them so we could meet you somewhere like that if its more convenient.

Its a shame about you friends dog as that is purely down to the owner not the breed.

Come to Ipswich!!! My girl walks on a loose lead, recalls (usually) and will do most of the things she is told laugh.gif

There's a dog park down here, fancy coming down so your pup can run offlead??

Hi, Dan, welcome to the pack :wave:

You are doing the right thing by researching the breed, they can be trying at times, but so lovable!! I know we have a few members Ipswich way, not sure if there's any nearer to you than that, but I'm sure someone will shout up if they are able to help out, x

wahey fresh meat lol

hey dan, welcome to the forum

we have a good amount of crazies on here and the dogs are gorgeous just look at pix.

a husky is a brilliant pet and are easily trained, probably not the best first time dog to own but are a special and loving breed

hope you find a lovely husky and we can all have a gander at your pix

kelly

Thanks for the quick replys and the warm welcome! Thetford forest would be great if possible! Ive been researching the breed for a long while but would be really helpful to speak with an owner in person. I didnt know if anyone was heading to the Game fayre in Norfolk the wkend of the 34/25th April, ive seen quite a few huskys there before. If people are heading to Thetford forest then send me a PM when you might be going and ill see if i can make it. Would need to be a sunday if its in April but May im free all weekend!

Thanks again!

Dan

Hey welcome to the pack smile.gif

It's probably not too late to train your friends husky but they need to put some effort in and get it trained. Do they still really want it?? If not maybe theres someone else willing to take the time to train it...

Yes they still want to keep it, but they just dont seem to have the time which is a shame. I wouldnt have a problem taking on the responsibility of training it for them but obviously they need to continue it and im not sure if they would.

Hi, Dan

Welcome to the site. . .laugh.gif

As you are considering getting a Husky have a look at this thread which is here on this site.

It will tell you about Huskies what to expect and what is required of you as an owner.

It is quite long but is well worth the read as it points out both the good and the bad points of the breed.

(we all think the good outweigh the bad) biggrin.gif

However an awful lot of people get Huskies without researching at all. . .and unfortunately most of these huskies end up being rehomed.

The fact that you have come here first is a brilliant first step on the journey to being owned by a Husky !! tongue.gif

Hi and welcome Dan i have 3 huskys which are crazy at times lol when they play, they are so loving They would never take food from me unless offered.

They are very cleaver dogs and with time and commitment can be very well trained, they learn pritty fast. The two big things i have found for people getting rid is their energy but if you exersise them well it's not a problem, the other is the fur when they blow their coat, but again not a biggy if you brush every day to keep it under control.

Take up the offers given go meet some well trained ones.

Good luck xxxx

hi dan and welcome to the pack :)

Get your GF on here and show her some of the videos and pics and ask her to read some of our threads, ANY dog regardless of the breed can be trained, it's the owners that put the time and effort into their dog that get the results :)

• 5 months later...

Hello again just wanted to say i finally got a pup, his name is Logan and im picking him up next Monday!! Be great to meet up with as many people and their sibes as possible if anyone is local. Know its been a while but wanted to make sure i found the right pup and make it so the girlfriend was happy with everything.

Heres some pics

61210_430218524890_509424890_5122191_4325857_n-1.jpg

61210_430218514890_509424890_5122189_6953731_n-1.jpg

61210_430218519890_509424890_5122190_2667480_n-1.jpg