My baby Fia just got spayed :(

Melli776

My poor poor baby...when i picked her up she looked so horrible. As soon as i got into the car i started crying like an idiot. I felt horrible for her. Now we are home, she was crying for 2 hours non stop and then it was time to give her pain meds which helped a lot and now she is sleeping. the first hours she was home i regretted bringing a healthy girl to the vet and picking what i picked up. I still am not so sure about what i just did do her. :'( Most of the dog owners i have talked to about getting her spayed have males and i just read online that fixing females is a lot more invasive then neuturing males... so they were all telling me to just do it and she would be fine in a couple of days. But the cut is 5 in long and looks really painful. The vet told me it will take 14 days for her to be back to normal... ohh i am feeling really bad for my girl.

any advice would be very appreciated.

Try to keep her as calm and not moving around as much as possible. They might be driving you mad, but it's easier than dealing with a sore unhappy Husky later. 5 inches long?? That's pretty big. Cheyenne and Mishkas was maybe 2 inches at most...

It was the right thing to do, and you'll avoid a whole mess of things later.

Poor Fia Husky hugs and kisses so she gets better faster and we can meet!! lol

Oh, poor baby. I hate to say this, but your vet was too invasive. A 5" incision is way too long. When we had Zoya spayed, the incision was about 1-1/2" long and there were no stitches to later remove. They used disolving stiches on the inner lining and super glue on the skin.

Fourteen days before she's normal? That seems odd. Zoya was her normal self when we picked her up, and we had a hard time keeping her inactive for the night. We gave her pain pills which she did not seem to need, but the vet advised us to give them to her. She told us that Zoya would be her bouncy self within a couple of days. Zoya did not whimper or cry at all.

Keep her calm, and give her lots of love. Zoya sends Husky Hugs.

Melanie, we have just had Myshka spayed, she was the same. Her wound was about 4-5 inches long & stitched and looked very sore. She cried for the first two days and just lay around all the time, not like the Myshka I had taken in a few days before. But she did start to get better day by day. She had a build up of fluid under her wound which had to be drained after 6 days as it was putting pressure on the stitches, a large syringe full of blood & water came out, but she was very good. After 10 days, her stitches came out, again, she was very good.

I was like you, wondered what I had done to my furbaby, but a few weeks on & it's like nothing ever happened! Give her a few days to get over the surgery, you'll have trouble trying to keep her calm! Please don't feel bad, you have nothing to feel bad about, in a few days, all will be forgotten & she will have forgiven you, xx :)

I Had Shura spayed a few months ago and she was the same crying and I even had to sleep down stairs with her coz i lamp shade couldnt fit in the cage. Her wound looked very sore and i felt really bad about it but i gave her lots of hugs and kisses everyday and she was back to normal. Until she had a pantom pregnacy :blink:. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from me and my babys xx

I Had Shura spayed a few months ago and she was the same crying and I even had to sleep down stairs with her coz i lamp shade couldnt fit in the cage. Her wound looked very sore and i felt really bad about it but i gave her lots of hugs and kisses everyday and she was back to normal. Until she had a pantom pregnacy :blink:. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from me and my babys xx

Cas! Don't say that! That's the reason we got Myshka done cos she had a phantom pregnancy! :blink:

the night was not too good. maybe 5 hours of sleep. She cried the whole time. My boyfriend even slept next to her. This morning she didnt want to eat but then she lost a BIG tooth so then she ate :) She HATES the cone... but she is sooooo much better then last night when we got home. I think we are going to have a hard time keeping her calm.... lol

Thanks for all the comments :)

I will keep you updated

poor thing, don't forget she'll be working the anaesthetic out of her system so won't really understand why she feels fuzzy

if she's getting a bit hyper try some training exercises with her - mental ones though that will tire her out a little :)

Gentle paw hugs from my boys xx

She seems to be better every day. She still sleeps a lot becaus her pain meds cause drawsiness ( which is really good) But then she seems to completly forgot she has a zipper on her belly and gets very hyper. We take her out to pee and she goes nuts... she pulls and sniffs like she has never been out.

I am really sorry I scared anyone about spaying. It was my initially reaction when i picked her up. Dogs seems to come back from surgery very very fast. As soon as the anesthisia was all gone from her system she was fine.

I was a good idea to have it done on a friday so we could be home with her the whole day saturday and sunday.

But do your research... We had her spayed at a pet hospital where she has gone since we got her. Her wound is a good 5 inches long. I talked to a family friend yesterday who is a vet and he told me he would have done it with a 1 in wound... So vet are more invasive then others. There is a big different if the wound is 5 in or 1 in.

suki had her stitches taken out on saturday from her spey, we kept her on a lead the whole time and walked her everyday on the lead, her stitches never pulled.

the scar is about 5 inches long. she had her stiches out at 14 days, and the vet said they where fine. no problem at all.

suki never had her pain meds from the second day after her spey, she wasn't in any obvious discomfort, and it reminded her not to dash around like mad.

suki was slow to come round from the operation, apparently her gums got a bit pale (lack of oxygen).

but all in all she was 100% fine

Thats really great to hear! yea the vet told me that the stiches won't come out before 10 to 14 days after. I just hope we can keep her calm. I don't think she would really need her pain meds but because they make her tired and sleepy we have been given them to her so she wont be all over the place and hurt her self.

good to hear she's getting back to her old self ... it's not nice to see them when they first come out of the vets, the first couple of days, they don't seem like your dog! :lol: I don't think you frightened anyone when you posted this thread, you're only posting what you're experiencing & others can then do the same so anyone planning on having their dog fixed will know what can be experienced, xx