Another diarrhea thread

jnetser

I have given her 3/4 cup rice with 1/4 cup kibble last night which made her loose again. Then morning the same but with 2tbsp pumpkin. Waiting on that movement.

The last 2 days she has lost about a pound, which at 3 months 9 days is concerning.

I think if her next 'bisy' is loose we will go back to rice and chicken but with 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup chicken.

Thoughts?

This is to much for Wolf have you seen the size of him ? He is 3 years + not 3 months

YOU ARE OVER FEEDING HER angry.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an update, things were going well, now they are in reverseangry.gif

Gracie is 53 pounds, the kibble is pacific TOTW

Then, for two days, feed her twice a day, 1/2 cup steamed rice with 1/4 cup boiled chicken. You can also give her two tablespoons twice a day, of canned pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie filling. It has spices. Just plain canned pumpkin. Canned pumpkin helps firm up the stools. - I'm forgetting since its been awhile but at least some poos were nasty orange with intact rice pieces. This was brown rice but I bought white rice at this point.

Observe her stools and see if they firm up.

Then start her out as follows:

Day 1 - 3/4 cup steamed rice with 1/4 cup kibble twice a day. - am-soft but separate pieces, still orange with rice pieces, not paste; no pm poo

Day 2 - Same as Day 1 (I did split the difference and gave 1/3 cup kibble for the second meal).- had good logs both poosbiggrin.gif I felt like bronzing one.

Day 3 - 1/2 cup steamed rice with 1/2 cup kibble twice a day. - am logbiggrin.gif ,; pm poo was firm the first half, but ended soft sad.gif ; second evening runny pooangry.gif

Day 4 - Same as Day 3. small runny poo upon waking before breakfast todayangry.gif

Day 5 - 1/4 cup steamed rice with 3/4 cup kibble twice a day.

Day 6 - Same as Day 5.

Day 7 - 1 cup kibble twice a day.

I'm guessing I should go back a step. Should I go all the way back to 3/4c rice, 1/4 cup kibble? How long can this combo really meet all the nutritional needs of the dog? I do think she is getting thinner and the vet said she could stand to gain a pound or two when I got her 2 weeks ago. I thought we were on the right track.

Anybody have any thoughts??

I dropped back to 1/4 cup kibble and she was runny again today. She is definitely getting thinner. I'm worried the rice is not very nutritious with that little kibble.

Should I stay at this level for a few days and see if she firms up or try a new kibble brand? Does anybody feed Candida brand? I noticed the store also had that one.

Julie

Juile Juile what you doing love ???????????

You started so well then went back to giving her "Day 7 - 1 cup kibble twice a day." its miles to much :( my 2 only have that much and there 3 years and 5 years old the days before are not much better Day 5 - 1/4 cup steamed rice with 3/4 cup kibble twice a day. its to much please stop it your going to make her ill :(

Let start again did you 24 hour starve her ? you have to do this for her own good the crap as to come out of her so her tummy can settle.

Now start to feed her work on very little kibble 1/4-1/2 cup twice aday if you do give her anything else like some of the others have said you have to compensate give less kibble not both as its to much, if it was me I'd just do the kibble and nothing else.

How long you do this for is hard to say but leave it min a week with no incress then when you do only a very little more at a time.

Cant help with Candida brand never heard of it sorry. Feeding raw might be the way to go for you but keep the amounts very low and try not to give her to many diffrent things, take Andy's tips on board as well very good m8

Good luck with her :)

Dunc,

I have never given her more than 0.5 cups kibble with 0.5 cups rice.

I was following Mazz's schedule (that was the Day1-7) but never got through the full week. As soon as the diarrhea started at 0.5 cups kibble I dropped back to 0.25 cups and that is still where I am. I didn't feed days 5 through 7, I dropped back to day 1.

You did see that Gracie is 3 years old and 53 pounds, right?

So you are saying stop with the rice completely and just feed 1/4 c kibble 2x/day?

Julie

Regarding the amount of food: 1 Cup of TOTW Pacific Stream, twice a day is not too much food. It's well under the daily recommendation for a pup or an adult, as provided by the manufacturer. We feed Zoya 1 cup twice a day of TOTW (she's currently 20 months), and when she was a pup, she got 1-1/2 cups twice a day. It may be, however, a good idea to feed a smaller amount to start and work up. Having said that, it could be the food itself that is triggering the loose stools. She may not do well on the salmon formula of TOTW.

You mentioned "rice" in the poo. Does she have any "rice" segments sticking to the fur around her bung? Those could be indications of tape worm. Can't remember if you had her checked for worms or not. If so, you might want to confirm if they checked for tape worms.

In the meantime, you can give her a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to firm up her stools, and I would give consideration to another food, one without salmon. Candida was given high raves a few years ago, but they have since changed some of their formulae and some dog owners have not been as happy. It is still a quality food. You may eventually need to address this issue with your vet, and it may mean putting her on a prescription diet, if you can't get a resolve soon.

Sorry Julie I think I got gracie mixed up with someone else that was having simlier problems I was looking at this as thou she was a puppy not 3 years old :( very sorry X

Hows thing going now ?

Yeah, Not surprising Dunc. . .we had TWO people getting advice from within the same thread.

Julie whos Sibe is 3 years. . .and.. .

Canuckboy whos Sibe is only 3 months.

• OK well my fingers are crossed.

Two days ago I quit with the rice.

Monday morning she had diarrhea; I fed her 1/4 c kibble in am and pm; she had no pm poo

Tuesday morining I fed her 1/3 c kibble, no am poo; pm I fed her about 1/2 c kibble, firmed up pm poobananen_smilies019.gif

Wed morning, no poo before breakfast which is a good sign, we are getting ready to go for a run now and I will see what happens the rest of today.

Dunc, no problemwink.gif

Mazz, if this currrent series fails again I will drop you a line, thanks!