Nikita's exploits......

dygosamikita

Nitika isn't a sibe but she is a timber wolf / malamute cross. For this reason she is very large and very strong, add to this determination and being a bit thick and let the games begin.

When we first got her we didn't have a crate and my partner at the time didn't believe in them (was thicker than the dog). So Nikita and Sampson were left to their own devices in the house while we were out.

After several incidents such as: microwave being pulled off the counter, her eating through a cupboard to get the bag of the potatoes that was inside, opening the fridge and removing everything (including the ruddy shelves)...etc. (will add some of these later)

We decided to lock her in the utility room while out. All that was in the room was the washer and dryer, an internal door and an external door, safe one would think. So a couple of hours later when we came home we were met in the driveway by none other than Nikita, just having a leisurely stroll about the placehuh.gif

Firstly we went around the back thinking somebody either broke in or the door wasn't latched and locked like we thought, but it was still secure nothing a miss. We then went in the house and saw straight away that the internal door was also intact with nothing a miss. At this point we were slightly confusedunsure.gif then noticed that the dryer was a bit farther away from the wall.

Needless to say we had not given a moments thought to the small hole through the wall that was the dryer vent. Nikita had pulled the dryer away from the wall and proceeded to tear at the drywall and insulation until she created a hole large enough for her to slid out under the vinyl siding and into the great outdoorsohmy.gif

Looking back now I can laugh but really wasn't funny at the time.

Other exploits to follow......

LOL. . . biggrin.gif

I hope we don't suffer as much with Koda. . .

but I'm not holding my breath.ohmy.gif

When I moved I gave them a 20ft x 20ft enclosure outside so they would have room to run about when we were at work. The first one was made of chain link and we put chain link across the top to enclosed it. The top was 4ft strips wired together along their length to create the 20ft length. She would stand on top of her house and pick these apart, don't ask how, and make a hole to get through. She would then wiggle through the whole walk along the top and then jump to the ground.

Ended up having to get an enclosure similar to what they use for lions in the circus', all welded sections that are bolted together.

Luckily she has outgrown most of this. But is very food motivated will still sniff out and pinch anything she can. Including my husbands food if he doesn't stay alert (he is the bottom of the pack)....lol. I had the dogs before him and he never bothered to assert himselfrolleyes.gif

thats crazy lol we were lucky with blaze he was never rly a destructive pup - skyla is a terror for stealing things and chewing them - she went downstairs this mornin - i thought i heard the post - thought nah probs not (it was only 8am ish - dont normally come that early lol) next thing i know skyla comes up the stairs with a letter in her mouth - then proceeds 2 lay down luckily i dived outta bed b4 she cud rip it up lmao - u wud think having 2 other dogs 2 play with wud stop her but it hasnt lmao

Wow... Mad dog!!! laugh.gif She sounds like great fun!!

Do you find her temperament (as in interactions with humans/other dogs) very different with her being park wolf as opposed to a fully domesticated dog?

She is quite a bit of fun..keeps you on your toes as she is normally doing something wrongsmile.gif.

I have been lucky with her in regards to temperament. She is brill with other people, in fact probably too friendly as her willingness and desire to approach everyone tends to frighten some people, and most other animals. We did have a lab mix as well years ago, another female, Nikita was fine with her and played with her most of the time. This other dog though couldn't seem to learn her place in the pack and continued to try to take toys away from Nikita and that is the only time she is ever aggressive is if something tries to take toys/food away from her. I had to re-home the other dog for her own safety.

She even does very well with my cats. She is actually a bit intimidated by them.

Wouldn't recommend the breed/mix for new owners though as you definitely have to be the alpha, if I hadn't done this I think she would be a nightmare as she tends to 'boss' other people around if they don't assert themselves. Not in an aggressive way but she climbs on them and nibbles their ears, oh and looks at them like they are thick if they try telling her off for doing something.

Lol she sounds like such a character!!

I was looking into wolfdogs a while ago, and read a lot about how difficult they are to bond with, because the tend to loose trust quite easily, for example I read that you cant restrain them in ways a domesticated dog would normally be fine with, like holding their front paws. Would you say you have to be more careful with her?

Have you got any pictures of her? I love wolfdogs :wub: but don't think i could ever own one unfortunately :(

There are some pictures on my profile. She is the dark coloured one. I wouldn't say that I have to be careful with her.

She is very trusting and lets me do most anything to her. She isn't keen on having her nails cut she tends to pull her feet away, but if one person holds her down lightly while the other does her nails she is fine. I think she picked this up from Sampson as her has to be sedated in order to get his nails donerolleyes.gif.

Yeah we have to keep a license. But at the same time I have never admitted to the council what she truly is. I say she is a malamute cross, not sure what she is crossed withwink.gif. When I first brought her over the license was very restrictive. She had to wear a muzzle, could only be walked at certain times (which worked out to always be dark in the winter time). Since then with many meetings with the council and pointing out to them that I have never said she is a wolf dog and that there is no way they could prove otherwise, I have got to where the license is purely a formality. Has really vague wording like 'can't be walked in a densely populated area', which is very open to interpretation..lol. It is just a way from them to cover their backsides and get money.

Thank you...she does elicit a lot of looks......

I do have an enclosure outside. It is 20ft x 8ft totally enclosed and we have to have it and the back gated locked when she is in it. But the house can also be used as their 'enclosure'. The required size of enclosure depends on the number of dogs are going to be in it. More or less what they look for is that you have the under control and 'protect' the public from them. It is ultimately down to the council and of course there will be some that are rather strict about it. We are rather lucky that our council isn't too bad, helps that we live in a rather rural area.