Barking Problem if we leave him alone

starkyboi

Hi,

i am new here. my name is christine and i have a 1 1/2 year siberian husky. his name is Stark. we have barking problem only when i leave home. he never barks in front of us but i heard from our neighbor that he has been barking continuously. At first, i didn't believe because many dogs live in our complex. but when i came back home today i hear him barking for the first time. i left him for only 30 minutes. i heard him howling before but never bark continuously like we heard today. has anyone have the same problem with me? and what do you think i should do to prevent him barking everytime we leave.

thank you

christine--stark

Hi and welcome to the site.

Huskys hate to be on there own its norm best to have a mate for them for company but there are things you can try like

keeping the tv on or radio to let them think there is people ther

put clothing down or cover that will smell of you

buy a kong and fill it with food for them to play with and try and get out keeps them busy for ages

Take them for really good run befor u go out it will help them sleep from being tired while you are out..

(but keep in mind when the husky is alone is when he/she is most likely to chew) so if dont have crate/cage dont be surprised by this lol hope some of that helps smile.gif

Hi

My two howl when we leave and are howling when we get back.

I asked a nieghbour and was told they quiet down soon after we leave.

I asked this person because Buck my first Husky most have been psychic because a couple of minutes before people we know came to our house he would get up at the window (this was before anyone drove up or walked upto the house) Iknow this because I used to check to see if anyone was coming, back to the point he would start waging his tail and start howling before he could see them.

Shaer is just the same because we can hear her start from the end of the road even though she can not see us.

good advice keath - i have a barker (hes a staffy x not a husky) but not when im not at home he just barks all the time when i am - barks at people walking past barks when sum1 knocks the door barks when blaze and skyla play barks when i fuss them barks when ppl come in my room ect - u get the picture lol - ive learnt (thanks 2 saz) thats shouting at him 2 shut up - just makes the problem worse - so if he barks when ur there dont shout at him cuz he will just bark louder

+1 Keath, great advice.laugh.gif

Huskies are very social pack animals, they hate to be on their own. another dog, Husky or other breed will help.

If it continues, the stress of being alone could turn destructive.huh.gif

This is one of the reasons so many Huskies end up being re-homed, because the people getting them do not research the breed before getting their "super cute ikkle puppy".

and 6 -12 months later their solitary Husky has destroyed everything in the house.sad.gif

Hope it works out, follow Keaths advice.

Good luck.smile.gif

Keath Gave you some great advice. I second the crate if you haven't got one already. Some dogs feel more secure in a crate and are less inclined to bark when their owners are away.

Huskies in generall are very vocal dogs, so it isn't surprising. I would suggest tiring him out as much as you possibly can before leaving, he is barking because he is lonely and bored. A kong or a tricky treat ball is another great suggestion. Anything that will keep him busy and keep his mind off the fact that you've left.

Also try to downplay your leaving as much as possible. Do not make a big fuss over saying goodbye, just quietly get ready as calmy as possible, and leave. Do the same when you return, most dogs are super happy to see their owners return, but if barking is an issue, you want your dog to be as calm as possible. When you get back home, try ignoring him for five minutes or so if he is excited. When he's pretty calm, then ask him to sit and you can give him some attention then. Five minutes is just a guideline, some dogs are crazy when you get home and take a while to calm down (mine goes nuts the minute you walk in the door), others have their moment and are quickly calmed. The trick is to make comings and goings seem like no big deal here.

Also, you mentioned when you got back home you heard him barking. ALWAYS make sure you wait until he stops barking before you enter the house (or let him out of the crate if he's crate trained), that way he associates silence with you coming home. Hope that helps a bit!

good advice keath - i have a barker (hes a staffy x not a husky) but not when im not at home he just barks all the time when i am - barks at people walking past barks when sum1 knocks the door barks when blaze and skyla play barks when i fuss them barks when ppl come in my room ect - u get the picture lol - ive learnt (thanks 2 saz) thats shouting at him 2 shut up - just makes the problem worse - so if he barks when ur there dont shout at him cuz he will just bark louder

that's exactly the opposite of our problem. we know it from our neighbor that he would howl and barks a lot whenever we are not home. but he don't howl at all when we're home. lol.

THANK YOU Keath...

and thank you all for the other advice.

it works extremely well

we turn on the radio, give my clothes in the cage, give Kong with filed biscuit, and we come back we didn't give him any attention until he is calm

good news!! so far he hasn't bark or howl for the past two days. it is still too early to tell but it is definitely a good start biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

this forum has been really welcoming and extremely helpful, glad to be apart of this.

24395_393101165020_684045020_534110.jpg