Running with a puppy?

jmiles

Hi,

My 3 and a half month old puppy loves to run (and which dog doesn't). When I take her on her walks, is it bad to do small segments of running? I am not a jogger by any means so I can not go very far or very fast, as it bothers my kneews, but anything to get a little bit more energy out.

I have read that you should not run with a dog until closer to 18 months old, is that true, or are they talking about real running of multiple miles at a time?

Thanks.

Hey :)

I run with Shiloh all the time unsure.gif i know i will prob get shot for admiting it but i do lol...he loves it aswell :)

we dont run for long......i will usually run from a lampost until the next one then walk for abit.....then will run one bit of a street until we reach the road then walk etc etc........he would run forever if i let him aswell lmao laugh.giflaugh.gif

we also have just got a trixie bike attachment for him so he goes out for a liitle run with Ian on his bike...its so funny but a great invention :)

Tami x x

if you get shot then im with ya

i walk 100 yards then jog 100 yards with koda as she loves to have a bit of a run and as she is not allowed off lead we use this to stretch her legs!!!

as long as you arent running really fast or for long periods i think its ok

Hey, I am no expert but from my experience you should not relly be running much with a puppy. Of course they will run about and may run a little when being walked. I think it is a minute of running for each week they are old. This is more of running around and playing,if they were to keep up with you running also that is harder work.

As for serious running with you this should not be started until they are at least a year old. Their bones and joints are still growing and too much running will put strain on them and may cause damage.

Hope this helps,someone else may be able to give you more detail smile.gif

if you get shot then im with ya

i walk 100 yards then jog 100 yards with koda as she loves to have a bit of a run and as she is not allowed off lead we use this to stretch her legs!!!

as long as you arent running really fast or for long periods i think its ok

lmao...glad im not alone on this then biggrin.gif i tell you summat though..even when i do run with Shiloh it doesnt make any difference- he still has tons of energy left sad.gif xx

Running with Puppies is like running with Scissors.

It should be done very carefully. . . lol biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input. I was planning on asking the vet at the next checkup, but figured I would ask here too. How long does it take to get a dog comfortable next to the bike? Denali changes sides like crazy when we go on walks. I am afaid she would pull me over or I would hurt her in some way.

please do not tell me you put your puppy on the bike !!!!!!!!!!

they should be about 12-18 months before going on any long distance or fast moving walks, they arent developed enough for that

if you are going to take your dog out on the bike then you will need an attchment of some sort you cant just hold the lead as its dangerous for you and the dog

kelly

I do not think I would even try the bike for quite a while. There is a lot of training we need to do before I would even attempt it.

I can picture it, going along all nice and sweet, then a leaf blows by or she sees a bird or squirrel, all bets are off. Maybe next summer or even the summer after that.

oh thank jeebus for that!!!!

if you train her to walk only to one side of you then she wont keep running and tripping you up, my dogs walk either side of me

yes the prey instinct is very strong, koda is 4 months and ignores most things but as soon as she sees a bird she goes into stalk mode

you can look at walkie dog attachments for your bike. my dad has one for our gsd and she loves it...........

enjoy denali while she is small and cute and fluffy because before you know it she will be a big moulting husky

we need lots of pix now

kelly

I would be careful even walking a 3 month old puppy too far on a leash. Most of their exercise should come from free play at that age. Try to stick to soft surfaces like grass or trails and avoid long walks on cement. I personally wouldn't run a young dog at all on cement. By the way, your puppy is completely adorable. What a sweet face. I bet my sibe looked a little like her as a puppy.