Double Trouble

imstarvin

Hi folks got my new furbaby Sashka eight weeks old, she is like a wee tankbiggrin.gif I need some advice as Mishka (6 months) is playing too rough and the wee one is turning aggressive. I supervise play at all times and am separating them to give individual attention. Mishka is jealous and takes all the toys. My sister in law says that I should be keeping them together all the time but I don't want the wee one to get hurt or develop an aggressive nature. Has anyone introduced a pups at this age if so how did you cope. I do know that in another six week they will be ok together but want to make sure I'm doing everything right nowdry.gif

Unless you are very sure your current dog will be a tolerant sweetheart with your new puppy, the first meeting should be through a crate or baby gate. Most adult dogs are naturally tolerant of puppies, but can correct them for rudeness very emphatically. You don't want your new baby puppy terrified right off the bat. Let them sniff each other through the barrier and relax about each other. pick up all toys, treats, food and even the water bowl. Removing anything your dog might get possessive about will greatly reduce the chance for corrections.

It is helpful to have two people for the introduction. With both dogs on a leash, allow sniffing and distract either with praise, treats if you see any tension. The absolute best way to do this is to take the dogs for a short walk together. This is called parallel walking and is an excellent way for dogs of any age to get used to each other and bond. Your puppy will probably want to jump up at the older dog's face and lick. This is very normal, submissive puppy behavior. Your dog may snap or growl. This looks scary but it is also very normal and his way of teaching the puppy manners.

Let your new puppy learn manners from your well adjusted older dog. She will learn not to bother him while sleeping and not to take his food and toys away. Sometimes the corrections will make her carry on like she is being killed but watch closely. Most likely she will get over it within 30 seconds and will continue to follow your older dog around. She is learning.

Continue to spend quality alone time with your adult dog. It is easy to neglect your resident dog when there is a new puppy in the house because puppies need so much attention. Spend time playing and training with your puppy, too, so she does not become overly bonded to the other dog.

Sometimes puppies can be an annoyance to older dogs. Make sure your older dog has respite and peace away from the puppy when he seems to want it.

Meeting should be done on a more neutral territory like on a walk (if she has injections) or if not in the garden. If you try to introduce with Mishka in her crate it may cause her to be agressive as the puppy is coming into her territory that has already been already established smile.gif

The more you can get them out walking & playing at the park together the better

aghem - pics??? blink.gif:D :D

great advice marc added to rep. Definitely remove any toys / bowls or treats that they could argue over until Mishka gets used to her. Kimba was about the same age when we brought Kaiser home, luckily for us though he was really tolerant with him but when he'd had enough he told him off - supervision is good, let them get on with it as much as possible but make sure you're there if things get too OTT.

Hi folks got my new furbaby Sashka eight weeks old, she is like a wee tankbiggrin.gif I need some advice as Mishka (6 months) is playing too rough and the wee one is turning aggressive. I supervise play at all times and am separating them to give individual attention. Mishka is jealous and takes all the toys. My sister in law says that I should be keeping them together all the time but I don't want the wee one to get hurt or develop an aggressive nature. Has anyone introduced a pups at this age if so how did you cope. I do know that in another six week they will be ok together but want to make sure I'm doing everything right nowdry.gif

Diane, when you say the puppy is turning agressive, What do you mean by that? Because at 8 weeks I would seriously doubt she even knows what aggressive is!?

Are you sure shes not just a noisey player? Sometimes pups can make all sorts of growls and barks when playing but its not nasty their just comunicating with the other dog their playing with.

Unless shes actually baring teeth and lunging at the other dog I would think shes just giving as good as shes getting (you say your other pup can be rough) that is often how huskies play.

At 6 months your other dog is not much more than a pup itself so is still learning whats acceptable play.. I would say keep doing what your doing... supervised playtimes make sure they both have a safe place to retreat to where there is no play (crates are ideal as long as baby pup knows thats what its for) and like you say seperate time and training with you so theres no over compensation on either side. Given time Im sure they'll be best buds they just have to adjust to how eachother work. smile.gif

I agree that 8 weeks is too young to know aggression but if you seen it you would not be in any doubt, if Mishka is too rough Sashka snaps and lunges at her snapping very viciously. I put her on the floor on her side until she relaxes. They are getting better together, I just have to supervise the play very closely and give them time out as you suggested. I will also remove old toys and new ones.

Thanks everyone smile.gif for the advice