walking NICE on lead

shanetez1

apart from being perfect with all other training echo is becoming a bugger on lead! she pulls like mad and ends up walking on just her back legs. we do do let her off leash and she will walk by my side and not leave my feet. the minute the leash is attached shes off!!!!!. ive also tried a canny collar which worked miracles on her dog but no such luck! every time i put the canny on well have you ever seen a husky do back flips? i have, she goes crazy as if shes in real agony!!! i would love nothin more then to have her walk leashed nicely so i can walk her along side my pushchair. need some real good tips please.

If headcollars don't work then it may be back to the old basics

boring and repetitive but eventually the dog will get the idea.

you need a long training lead at least 15 feet

attatch to the collar and let the dog get approx 10 feet in front then holding tight to the lead reverse direction.

When the slack takes up and the leash goes tight the dog will notice you going in the opposite direction.

And should turn and catch up with you. . .whenthey do praise them as they are beside you. When they go ahaead of you repeat the reverse. After doing this 10 or more times the dog will start watching you and where you are going instead of forging ahead.

Eventually the dog should be walking beside you watching your every move.

it will take quite a few sessions like this before the dog actually gets the idea firmly planted in his/her head and begins to walk beside you constantly.

This is not a quick fix . . .it is a long and laborious process. But eventually it does work.

Try using small bits of treats, when walking drop the treat on the ground near your heel, she then gets used to concentrating on looking at you or the ground. Stop walking when she pulls, show her the treat and when the lead is slack praise and give the treat to her instead of dropping it. This works well for me but needs to be repeated again and again and again if get my meaningcool.gif I regularly change direction pulling her in close as I turn this keeps her focused and unsure of where I'm going.

Hope this helps.

Don't bother with a Halti, Personally I really don't like them!

My dogs walk by my side when they have their collar/chocker/half check etc, They respect it!

When they have their harness on their allowed to pull!

When Echo pulls, just stop!

Each time Echo does pull all you need to do is stop, eventually she'll get the idea that each time she pulls you stop, which is no fun!

When i first got Joey and Zarly they'd pull, now their a dream to walk :)

Some dogs find head collars very aversive, she would be rolling around and fighting it because it IS uncomfortable and hurting her.

I see in your ticker that she's only four months old - she's just a baby :) She pulls on the leash because she's learnt that how to get where she wants to go. Try fitting a flat or martingale collar nice and snug at the top of her neck, then turn sharply on your heel in a 180 degree turn EVERY time she pulls the INSTANT she pulls.

Have you tried clicker training? This can be a useful way to mark her when she's in the correct position. That way, when you turn on your heel and she has to turn around to catch up to you, you can click and treat as soon as she turns around and is still on a loose leash.

A headcollar, ANY headcollar, should not be used on a dog under 6 months, pups are usually quite manic and jump towards things, pull suddenly and shoot to the end of the lead, combine this with the fact that their joints are not fully formed and you could have some serious problems on your hands sad.gif I HATE seeing pups on headcollars.

1st off, how much exercise is she getting? It might be that she's not getting enough, If kira hasnt been to the dog park (8 mile walking, 1-2 hours running offlead) she starts to pull a bit

Have a short lead, so she cant get too far infront of you, and get her a flat or alaskan semi slip collar, pref quite wide (i find wider collars work better) Snowpawstore do a great semi slip smile.gif. Start walking with her, as soon as she pulls, turn around and start walking the other way, as she catches up to you said good girl or whatever and give her a really tasty treat. Keep doing it. You probably wont get anywhere but there ya go.

Takes a while, but this combined with exercise and a wider collar, Kira was walking nicely within a month or so

thanks for the advise people ive ditched the canny collar mainly because of sid wolfs comment as the last thing i want to do is harm echo if she bolts so thanks for the eye opener. we have gone back to basics and only semi slip collar and lead as she seems to pull much more with the harness so fingers crossed laugh.gif