Access Via Mobile Phone.....

Sparks

Hi, guys just wondering if any1 is having the same problem as me, or if any1 could help?

Right, sometimes i like to go on the internet on my Phone, so today when i tried to access the forum i found that i was unable to do so. What happens is that when i click the Sign in button my phone thinks that i have clicked the husky owners banner at the top, then this will only take me back to the forum main screen. i have tried zooming in on the sign in link but it still wont work.

here is a video i took from my phone using a program called My Mobiler. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AtmlTg3quaM

I can get online with my Nokia N97 smartphone.

HOWEVER. . .

it takes soooooo long for the background pictures and graphics to load that the site is refreshing before it's finished the first time and so the page locks up.

So

to work around this i have set my phone to load only text.

the downside of this is that some of the slow loading graphics are the white background that the dark text is displayed against.

when the graphics are taken out you have black text against a dark blue background. . .

Veeeeery difficult to read.

I have to zoooooooooom in to be able to read the black text against the dark blue background.

However once you get into a thread it's ok because the default background is white. . . perfect.

It is just the forum categories /shoutbox and recent topics that have the dark background causing the probs for me.

my phone doesnt even let me access the forum it says i have 2 ring up orange give them the site address so they can check out it and see if they feel its 'safe' for users (child protection maybe - but im nearly 22! lol)

Yep I had this on mine. . .it's a pain.

Because the forum has open access and allows mild swearing orange has decided it is not "child" friendly.

you have to go into an orange store and get them to take that off for you.

i tried a few things with no luck, i tried to change the screen to landscape but still didnt allow me to click the sign in link. 

i dunno y orange wont let u access it without having the site checked, o2 didnt have to check it for me.

o2 didnt have to check it for me.

Yeah, this is something that orange IMPOSES on it's customers. . .

It protects you until you ask it not to.

However their reasons for blocking a site may have nothing to do with the content but more with the site permissions.

Crazy.

looks like your problem is overlapping facets of the display. . .

Marc is creating a more phone friendly version as part of the coming upgrades to the site

can't wait

As Marc knows, I am here if he wants help sorting this issue.

All that really needs to be done is for the site to recognise a mobile device is connecting to it and optimise the skin to suit the device. As that isn't happening at the moment, the phone can't handle all of the images loading up at the same time due to the RAM in the phones and its deciding that the banner is the one being clicked instead of the sign in link.

Which phone are you using sparks? I had no trouble when I was using the CryPhone

The current version of the site isn't compatible with all phones at present, however when the new version goes live in the very near future there will be a fully developed skin that will be user friendly on mobiles.

Sorry Marc, not what you wanted to hear but I promise you won't have too long to wait x

The current version of the site isn't compatible with all phones at present, however when the new version goes live in the very near future there will be a fully developed skin that will be user friendly on mobiles.

Sorry Marc, not what you wanted to hear but I promise you won't have too long to wait x

Lol. . .a little on forum arm twisting going on here methinks. . . biggrin.gif

not worries it will be worth the wait, no need to rush things.

Works and loads fine on my Iphone, which automatically defaults to lo-fi version. No issues with sign-in on the touch screen and happy with lo-fi version as loads quicker. Can switch to full site if I want to though B)

Orange do put a content filter on accounts to protect kids from inappropriate content. Either phone them on 150 (free on a contract phone, don't know about PAYG) and ask them to remove the kidsafe filter, or you can do it via mobile web on some phones (nokias one of them). Two minute job and you only have to do it once :).

My contracts unlimited browsing, but if your limited on yours, you might want to switch to lo-fi and save some MB ;)

As Marc knows, I am here if he wants help sorting this issue.

All that really needs to be done is for the site to recognise a mobile device is connecting to it and optimise the skin to suit the device. As that isn't happening at the moment, the phone can't handle all of the images loading up at the same time due to the RAM in the phones and its deciding that the banner is the one being clicked instead of the sign in link.

Which phone are you using sparks? I had no trouble when I was using the CryPhone

Adding the functionality isnt an issue ... Its building the skin which is in process as we speak.

The reason the original problem posted here is occuring is because the banner which links to the homepage overlaps the logon link, and therefore this is actually what you are clicking on. I would suggest navigating directly to the logon screen if you are having this issue for the time being.

Husky Owners will soon have full mobile device support, with a full mobile skin that will be suitable for most small device resolutions, however for the moment its gonna have to be a workaround until I can get this completed