reported our run in to the police

instant-classic

Totally agree its the owners NOT the dogs and i just want to point out i'm not anti staffy or any other breed of so called devil dogs. I had a Doberman he was 8 stone plus of muscle and looked very scary i know that and went all out to make him as soppy as possible but even so i could see some people were scared when we walked so i would always make sure i was between him and other people and the only time he went off lead was at 6am on our local park when it was empty !!! if there was anybody about he would't go off and never let him off anywhere else. Now i know he was a soppy git but if somebody else had 8 stone of doberman running towards them i know if would be scary as hell. If you came to my house all that would happen is you would get his feet on your shoulders and get a huge sloppy kiss ....... you see these people with chains and studded collars on there dogs and it really doesn't help making them look even worse, my dobe had a bright red nylon collar with flowers on, I tried so hard to convince people i just like the breed. I'm just not a fan of dogs off lead in public unless you have 100% control and if your dog comes running towards mine friendly or not you ain't got control of him !!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad dog, just the way they've been trained/brought up/treated by their owner. I know Staffies have a reputation, but I try not to tar all Staffies with the same brush, although I do know what you mean, there are a lot of chavs out there with Staffies that use them to intimidate people and dogs.

No dog is 100% safe, I trust Grey with my little boy but never 100% it only takes one thing for any dog to snap no matter how dosile and loving it is, yes some dogs are made worse by there owners but every dog has it in them to turn if they really wanted....

Staffs are very loyal and loving dogs and bought up the right way make great family dogs as do Rotties, but bought up in the wrong enviroment and taught the wrong things they are probably the most deadly weapon any human can have......

either way my point is no dog is 100% safe no matter how good or how bad you are at bringing them up...

I mean 100% control not safe though, when i see people out with there dog saying oh he's well trained he's fine then he sees another dog and runs off or sees a bike and runs off, then it shouldn't really be off lead. I only ever had one dog that off lead would walk by my side and stay by my side no matter what then come back on first call every time and i think that was more down to breed (border collie). It's the same think when you see a 9 or 10 year old walking the family rotty or doberman as sibe77 says every dog has it in them to turn and can that person really control there dog if it does ??? I'm just saying your responsible for your dog at the end of the day. I hate that dogs get put to sleep when it's there owners that should be reprimanded.

• The reply i got from the dog wardens about 5 mins ago is pasted below, I basically told them my dog was attacked by an off lead staffy (but neither myself or my dog were injured) with a arrogant owner and that there are a fair few people that walk around the place where it happened both children and OAP's with dogs both on and off lead and i didn't want the same thing to happen again to one of those people or myself. I think the problem is that my dog wasn't injured and i wasn't injured but thats kinda the point i keep trying to make, the only reason nothing happened is because i'm a big ish dude that isn't scared of dogs. I think this pretty much means there's not much point reporting dog related incidents in Nottingham and from what i've heard if it happens again i need to do whatever it takes to look after myself and my dog. Oh well angry.gif

• Thank you for your enquiry, At present there is no legislation inforce to keep dogs on leads, however there are exceptions on fenced childrens play areas there are bylaws in place preventing fouling and on some keeping your dog on a lead There are some breeds under the dangerous dogs act that have to be registered and kept under control ayt all times but the staffordshire Bull terrier. It falls on the owner of the dog to keep it under control at all times in public areas.

Many thanks

The Dog Warden Team

Environment & Regeneration

Laurence House

Talbot Street

Nottingham

NG1 5NT

martin thats crap :(

spider meet bings a staffy x who was abused and abandoned hes also bin attacked by 4 dogs since we got him :( this is gonna make him dog aggressive surely?? right? wrong he LOVES all dogs with the exception ov 2 that just for sumreason scared the hell outta him - so he used 2 hide behind me - i can pull on his tail his ears his legs i can prod him put my hands in his mouth everything and he wont move when i play fight with him he puts his mouth round my hand/arm and will sometimes gently bite down - it doesnt hurt and hes only playing BUT if i say ow just as if i was speaking i dont need 2 shout it or yelp it or anythin i just say ow - he lets go and licks my hand instead :D - staffies are ov corse known as the nanny dog as they r soo good with kids/ppl

i know 1 staffy near me who is offlead ALL the time - what does it do when it sees me walking my 3 - walks straight past them - they can b such amazing dogs unfortunately its the wrong people who usually own them and give them a bad name - i havent met 1 staffy round my area thats been aggressive - and theres ALOT ov staffies in my area - sorry had 2 get that off my chest lol

CIMG2329-1.jpg

Check out Bings posing for the camera biggrin.gif

Nix i'm really not staffy bashing in any way, as i said i had a Doberman before i had my Husky and they get the exact same prejudice please please don't think i'm anti certain breeds. I do have a problem with the owners that buy certain dogs to make themselves look harder and make them nasty though.

Just to put things in perspective one of Sky's walkie buddies is a staffy called Bubbles and she's really friendly, lovely dog.

• The reply i got from the dog wardens about 5 mins ago is pasted below, I basically told them my dog was attacked by an off lead staffy (but neither myself or my dog were injured) with a arrogant owner and that there are a fair few people that walk around the place where it happened both children and OAP's with dogs both on and off lead and i didn't want the same thing to happen again to one of those people or myself. I think the problem is that my dog wasn't injured and i wasn't injured but thats kinda the point i keep trying to make, the only reason nothing happened is because i'm a big ish dude that isn't scared of dogs. I think this pretty much means there's not much point reporting dog related incidents in Nottingham and from what i've heard if it happens again i need to do whatever it takes to look after myself and my dog. Oh well angry.gif
  • Thank you for your enquiry, At present there is no legislation inforce to keep dogs on leads, however there are exceptions on fenced childrens play areas there are bylaws in place preventing fouling and on some keeping your dog on a lead There are some breeds under the dangerous dogs act that have to be registered and kept under control ayt all times but the staffordshire Bull terrier. It falls on the owner of the dog to keep it under control at all times in public areas.

Many thanks

The Dog Warden Team

Laurence House

Talbot Street

Nottingham

NG1 5NT

Sorry you didnt really get anywhere with them Martin...<_< Maybe get your local MP involved or something if you wanted to? I'm not sure what else you can do really.

Ok Nix as long as we are cooooooooool !!!!

Anna i think i'm giving up now to be honest, doesn't seem much point, i just know if it happens again defend myself and my dog thats it !!!

Yeah I guess thats all you can do now Martin, I hope you don't have any more run in's with that dog! :) and Nix, I think Bings is beautiful! I do have a soft spot for staffy's, in the wrong hands (i.e- chavs who use them as status symbols) they are dangerous and it gives responsible staffy owners a bad name, it makes me so mad as pretty much everyone on here has said, it's not the dogs, it's the owners!

Hi,

Unless there is a specific order in place covering the area where the dog 'attacked' the dog does not have to be on a lead it is however up to the owner or keeper of the animal to keep it under control.

There are however bylaws in place covering childrens play grounds in relation to fouling and some dogs on lead orders.

If the Dog is of a breed that is registered under the dangerous dogs act or has been before a court then there would be directions made re muzzelling, keeping on lead etc.

Thank you

The Dog Warden Team

Laurence House

Talbot Street

Nottingham

NG1 5NT

0115 9156123

dog.wardens@nottinghamcity.gov.uk