X-Back or Shoulder Harness

Ole

A BRIEF GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS HARNESSES

X-back or shoulder - which to choose?

The racing/recreational x-back, an x-back harness is designed for the efficiency and comfort of a dog pulling a light load at anything from a walk/trot to a gallop. This may be either as an individual or working in a team. The X-back harness gets its name from the straps that form an 'X' across the back of the dog. The X-back design keeps the harness in place, controls vertical motion, but doesn't restrict the dog's gait. The "Sliding X" on top allows the harness to compensate for different dogs, and for the off-center pull of standard gangline hitches. This harness is not well suited to heavy weight pulling. It is important the harness fits snugly but not tightly around the neck and extends along the back stopping just short of the tail. The X-back harness when used correctly captures the complete power of the dog from the shoulders through to the back legs

A harness fits when the tug base is at the beginning of the tale while pulling. The neck opening should be tight, but not too tight. You should be able to put two fingers betweeen harness and neck.

15qpxk5.jpg

If the connection point is significantly higher than the dogs topline, then the use of an X-back harness can cause the dogs back legs to be lifted slightly reducing the power. You can see in this photo that the dogs are been pulled up because of the use of a bikejoring/scootering antenna.

2ujs95u.jpg

Shoulder Harness This style of harness connects around the shoulders of the dog with the hitching point just below the shoulder blades. The Shoulder Harness has the advantage of allowing all the power generated at the shoulders to be harnessed directly, which is particularly useful when the hitching point is not directly in line with the dogs topline, such as with cani-cross, skijoring and bikejoring.

Some long distance mushers in the Iditarod have also cited shoulder harnesses put less stress on the lower back and hips of the dog. For canicross it's recommended that this harness is used instead of an xback. This is due to the higher attachment point on a runner compared to a sled which the xback is designed for. The stress induced by the lead/bungee line was directly on to the dogs intercostal muscles in the stomach.

Photo of the shoulder harness

1067_file_2_2.jpg

My recommendations

XBack Harness - scootering or 3 wheeled rig

Shoulder Harness - canicross or bikejoring (due to higher points of attachment)

We only have the xback right now for sledding and skijoring but now that it is spring/summer we are going to get a shoulder harness because we want to do bikejoring and have also heard that you should use a shoulder harness for it. If anyone wants a custome made harness this is our favorite site to get our supplies from http://www.affordabledogsleds.com/ . Just for fun I will add a pictures of Akira with her xback harness :-D.

18651_457844200170_502280170_10908607_7356451_n.jpg

18651_457822685170_502280170_10908525_1070508_n.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!

Attila is 11 weeks and I'm anxiously waiting to get him in a harness and working. I'm an avid runner, putting on 3-6 miles a day and he'll be joining me when he gets bigger. In the winter I'd love to have him Skijoring.

When should I start harness training?

is this harness ok for cani-cross (aka me jogging with blaze - most ov the time he runs next 2 me - http://www.ezydoguk....74onfanhkj2ufn6

I personally wouldn't use these type of harnesses for any pulling activity, I don't think its what they're designed for.

I use X backs with the scooter and rig, but am going to try Diesel with a shoulder harness. He had an incredibly high hip score when he was tested, and the vet said I had to keep an eye on it. He's 4 now and never shown any indication of problems, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so am going to give it a go and see how it works.

its not for pulling tho i go jogging and take blaze with me so hes running next 2 me apart from the odd spurt ov energy when we 1st set off

OK, thats not really cani cross thentongue.gif its a bit like Toy Stoy, we're not flying, we're falling with stylebiggrin.gif

I wouldn't know what they're like for jogging together, rather than the dog pulling, if you use it for walking and you like it, I'd say it would be okay.

ah ok cool i thought cani cross was just running with ur dog lol

Get into the cani cross, then when Skyla's old enough you would fly alongbiggrin.gif Its good training for scootering and bikejoring etc. I'm not fit enough for it though, no way I could keep up with any of my lot at the moment.

Can I ask, how do you attach the lead when you're jogging together, do you have it on a belt, or just hold it in your hand?

• 5 months later...

so if i get a walky dog which harness would i need (im guessin the H one, but where do i attach the line on the walky dog to the harness? does it only have 1 the bit where it can attach? also where do i need to put the walky dog ON the actual bike? lol- or would my ezydog harness be ok?

so if i get a walky dog which harness would i need (im guessin the H one, but where do i attach the line on the walky dog to the harness? does it only have 1 the bit where it can attach? also where do i need to put the walky dog ON the actual bike? lol- or would my ezydog harness be ok?

I'd use the shoulder harness for the walky dog. You attach the walky dog line then to the clip on the shoulder harness.

The Walky Dog bar will attach to underneath the seat (stem). If your ezydog harness is padded enough it will be fine, depends on how much your dogs pulls though.

• 3 weeks later...

It makes a difference if you have trained your dogs to heel when you walk them or not. I never did, so they are always out front when I run them, though they pull a little less as they get tired. I always used the shoulder harness and it works well. The lead that I use is only about 5 ft with bungees and all, and Im six foot four, so an xback would just pull thier back legs off the ground. Wait a minute, thats about 1.5-2M and im like 75 cm tall... you crazy brits with your metric system lol jk.