Help Needed Plz about Hip Dysplasia

Hiya Every1

Thanks 2 every1 who sent me a welcome message really nice thanks

I would also like to thank every1 who sent message to support an kind words with the passing of Sarah's and my grandad it was so touching. Sarah sent me the links last nite and i was in tears reading them so kind and thoughtfully of every1 to take a few mins 2 write such lovely words.

Im here to pick ur brains if i can, my 6month old Husky x GSD bitch Naketah has been struggling with her back legs i took her to the vets yesterday an she thinks its Hip Dysplasia. I am waiting for a response from the breeder about it and 2 c if any of her litter hav also got it. It was a complete bombshell im still in shock cos shes so young, im after any information no matter how small about what i can do 2 help her, like cod liver oil or seaweed (ugh!) etc. I'll do anythin 2 make it more comfortable for her, she on anti-inflammatries and rest which she isnt amused at, she loves 2 run with my 2yr old GSD bitch Akellah.

I was also after advice about what is the best food for her (well both of them) plz

Thanks for listening (reading) and your time

NicNic7

post-1567-135859512185_thumb.jpg

post-1567-13585951232121_thumb.jpg

post-1567-13585951245598_thumb.jpg

post-1567-135859512589_thumb.jpg

hello nicola welcome to the forum sorry to hear about your girl naketah and the problems she is having with her hips i personally have not had any personal experience with hip dysplasia but read up on it a little i am posting a link to one of the articles i read, dont know if it will be of any help but it does menion some things nutrional suppliments like, New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel extract ,Shark cartilage. Chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine and also tells you some more details about it and treatment signs etc..

Please let us know how your girl gets on x

http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/hipdysplasia.shtml

Hi Nicola :wave:

Yes you guessed it - Nicola is my cousin :D Is she as batty as me - well i'm sure you'll find out! laugh.gif

Have just replied to a pm and included the following info:

Aww poor girl :( Hip dysplasia in crosses is more common, best thing to do is moderate her exercise and make sure she doesn't get overweight as that can put more of a strain on her hips. She may just be going through a growth spurt, and settle at around the age of 1.

With regards to feeding, one with a good source of calcium is good, or you can give a raw egg once a week, my two have a raw egg outside, eat the middle and leave the shell, i warm the shell in the oven and crush it into like a powder and put it in their food as the shell is where a lot of the calcium comes from. Glucosamine may help as well although i'm not sure on the dosage to give on that blink.gif

Hope that helps a little :)

Sarah xx

Hello and welcome!! Sorry to hear your girl is having problems...i don't know much about hip displasyia (ugh, don't even think i can spell it!) i'm sure someone on here will be able to help you, look forward to seeing you around. xx

Hiya

Thanks the vet didnt mention it but i will ask her when Naketah goes 4 her xray and ill look in to the gluco thingy!! cant remember how 2 spel it opps lol

I jst tried them with eggs it didnt take Naketah long to crack hers then she hogged them an Akellah didnt get a look in u can tell whose boss already

xXx

Prescription Diet® j/d® is formulated with the following benefits

• Help improve your dog's ability to run, walk and jump in as little as 21 days with a clinically proven combination of nutrients
  • An excellent source of the Omega 3 fatty acid, EPA, to nourish cartilage
  • Controlled calorie content and added L-carnitine help maintain a healthy weight and avoid extra stress on joints

got that off the website :) its what we recommend people to feed their dogs on when they come into the vets with dogs who have hip dysplasia.

Thanks for that website about hip dysplasia moonbeam made me feel a lot better its hard 2 find the right information an that was spot on

Ill also look into the mussel extract i noticed last nite that some food has think gluco thingy in u can also get the tablets from ebay as well love ebay :rolleyes: im addicted

Thanks again

Speak 2 u soon

xXx

Hi Nicola, yep deffinatly look into getting gloucosamine condrotin (you can actually get the human variety and give them to her as it does the same as the dog stuff) what that will do is help her body to build up the levels of cartalidge between her bones to cussion the joints, this is especially helpful if she has the kind of hip displaysia which means her bones have grown extra bits on them she doesnt need and are pushing the hip bones out of the joint socket.

Then as Sarah said just try to keep her otherwise healthy and limit her exercise... if your limiting her physicall exercise try looking online for mental stimulating exercises you can get her to do as this will help to tire her out so shes not bouncing off the walls (at six months that gunna be a challange!!)

Good luck and let us know what the vet and the breeder says.. if the breeder was awear her dogs could pass this on then I would be having words with her as to why she bred in the first place!! angry.gif

Oh and welcome to the family! Your in good hands here everyone is lovely and really cares!!

Hi Nicola, yep deffinatly look into getting gloucosamine condrotin (you can actually get the human variety and give them to her as it does the same as the dog stuff) what that will do is help her body to build up the levels of cartalidge between her bones to cussion the joints, this is especially helpful if she has the kind of hip displaysia which means her bones have grown extra bits on them she doesnt need and are pushing the hip bones out of the joint socket.

Then as Sarah said just try to keep her otherwise healthy and limit her exercise... if your limiting her physicall exercise try looking online for mental stimulating exercises you can get her to do as this will help to tire her out so shes not bouncing off the walls (at six months that gunna be a challange!!)

Good luck and let us know what the vet and the breeder says.. if the breeder was awear her dogs could pass this on then I would be having words with her as to why she bred in the first place!! :angry:

Oh and welcome to the family! Your in good hands here everyone is lovely and really cares!!

Thanks sarah im hoping its something she will grow out of and its jst part of her growing an some bits hav grown b4 others my fingers are crossed :rolleyes:

I will let every1 know wat the vet an breeder says not heard bk from her yet if i do at all :angry:. im hoping its something that i can control i was a bit worried about her weigh an hav cut her down which has helped. considering she so young she quite subdued an laid bk which is gd as the vet said she needs 2 rest (im not sure think she need some exercise) its hard 2 know wat best 2 do

Im getting her some suppliments 2day an see how that goes

i will keep every1 informed

speak soon

xXx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my gsd x rotty jack has arthritis fom his shoulders back, also the vets think he may be developing dysplasia, he has glucosamine powder(newmarket supplement dog not horse!!), also he goes swimming once a week, he is 8 now and on daily painkillers so i think the supplements will help your puppy, always make sure he never gets overweight, when jack was little he grew so quick his front shoulders went funny but he grew out of that! Really sorry to hear it is in your young pup but good luck and take care x x

Hi my gsd x rotty jack has arthritis fom his shoulders back, also the vets think he may be developing dysplasia, he has glucosamine powder(newmarket supplement dog not horse!!), also he goes swimming once a week, he is 8 now and on daily painkillers so i think the supplements will help your puppy, always make sure he never gets overweight, when jack was little he grew so quick his front shoulders went funny but he grew out of that! Really sorry to hear it is in your young pup but good luck and take care x x

Hiya Sars

Thanks for the advise to update on how Naketah is she was spade yesterday along with my other dog. Boy did they sulk with me didnt want 2 know me, im putting down 2 they were still groggy from anastetic :rolleyes:. She was X-rayed at same time vet said that her hips werent gd but not much else which really bugged me. Ive got her on Glucosamine and chrontin tablets as they will help improve the cartiledge in her joints. He gave me some more anti inflamatories an told me to rest her. But 2 b honest she wants to go for a walk an shorly if she doesnt exercise her muscles will waste away an she want get any better. All the vet said was see how she goes an that a double op would b mega expensive. But shorly as she still growin and will b for the next 1 1/2 it should grow an if i supplement her it all should help

How much exercise would ppl recommend and any other ideas to aid her like pain relief etc would b gr8ly appreciated

Cheers all

xXx

Hi Jacks muscles have wasted away, but the swimming helps, you should probably see about that as it does not put pressurre on the joints so she can move easily and will stop the muscles wasting and build them up! I know it sounds harsh but try to ease up on pain killers as they often do more harm than good, i found the more he swims the less pain relief he needed. Try short walks on flat ground no jumping(not easy i know!!) or not too many steps, I only have jack on pain killers as he is older and there is no going back with him, take care of her and good luck x x p.s the guy who swims jack swims lots of dogs who started off not being able to walk or been written off by the vets and are now off pain killers and walking!!

Hi Jacks muscles have wasted away, but the swimming helps, you should probably see about that as it does not put pressurre on the joints so she can move easily and will stop the muscles wasting and build them up! I know it sounds harsh but try to ease up on pain killers as they often do more harm than good, i found the more he swims the less pain relief he needed. Try short walks on flat ground no jumping(not easy i know!!) or not too many steps, I only have jack on pain killers as he is older and there is no going back with him, take care of her and good luck x x p.s the guy who swims jack swims lots of dogs who started off not being able to walk or been written off by the vets and are now off pain killers and walking!!

Hiya Sars

Thanks for the advise i am goin 2 start walkin her gradually cos i dont want her 2 get worse. Shes still on the anti inflamatories an the gluco etc an no pain killers at the mo i am goin to start 2 cut down the anti inflammatories an try only 2 give her if she seems 2 b strugglin more

Where do u swim jack? not sure where i could take her

Will look in2 it

Thanks again

xXx

Unfortunately too far from you, but if you put in hydrotherapy pools on internet should hopefully be one near you? Or ask your vet they must know of one? Even walks around your garden would help, muscle wastage is so hard to get back jack still looks anorexic at back, good idea with anti inflammatories, my vets wanted to fill jack with all sorts of drugs but now at 8 he only has his painkiller but thats only cause he tore his cruciate ligament about a year ago, too big and full of arthritis to operate, poor boy is a bit trashed lol! Please take care of her and good luck i really hope the swimming has the same effect on her as jack as you will really notice the difference x x x x x p.s is radcliffe in manchester?

HIya

I will check out if any hydrotheraphy around her Radcliffe is near Manchester so might b 1 nearby. I got to gradually build her up for the meet next monday i know she will hav a ball an will probably b knackered after will try an limit how much she walks tho to b safe

Thanks again

xXx