Toughening paws??

SARSMINI

Hi took stev out for run with bike tonight bit longer than normal, when i got back noticed one of his front and one of his back paws had a little blood onblink.gif , checked both and looks like the very end of his claw was bleeding, his pads looked a bit tender too. He was not running all the time and not really fast, can anyone help do his pads need to get tougher as he is 9 months and do i just do a little less fast running and more jogging? Also is it ok to just walk him in the morning he is not lame and after clening no more blood?? Thanks for any helphuh.gif

Mushers secret.

its a pad toughening wax

rub it on thier pads

It speeds up the toughening process.

http://www.greyhoundsupplies.co.uk/Store1/product_info.php?products_id=89?osCsid=1dac537d10396bd06daccb867153a56a

At 9 months he should really be running with a bike as his bones are still developing and you can damage them for later life if you run him too far... I'd say if you want to run him jog with him on grass or dirt surfaces for short distances 5-10 mins at a time and wait till hes a little older (at least a year) before running him with any type of wheels.

Nails down the the quick heal fast, so just rest him up till the quick receeds. Usually down to hard or stoney surfaces and mushers secret is good stuff for sore pads. If it happens again, or your running on harsh surfaces, think about getting a supply of dog booties. Not daft 'fashion' ones though, proper working booties. We get ours from www.dogbooties.com. You'll need a supply as they wear through on hard surfaces quickly, so treat them as disposable. There are UK suppliers, but generally more expensive over here.Some dogs can be tenderfoots and more prone to sore feet, in which case, ALWAYS boot for running B)

At 9 months he should really be running with a bike as his bones are still developing and you can damage them for later life if you run him too far... I'd say if you want to run him jog with him on grass or dirt surfaces for short distances 5-10 mins at a time and wait till hes a little older (at least a year) before running him with any type of wheels.

Thanks Sarah, He is not full out running more jogging, I read on here you could run them for 5 mins for each month of age?? huh.gif We only go out in morning for 10 mins and then at night for about half hour, Went this morning at walk but nail started bleeding again so came home! Walking on grass for a few days it is then lol Thanks againsmile.gif

Nails down the the quick heal fast, so just rest him up till the quick receeds. Usually down to hard or stoney surfaces and mushers secret is good stuff for sore pads. If it happens again, or your running on harsh surfaces, think about getting a supply of dog booties. Not daft 'fashion' ones though, proper working booties. We get ours from www.dogbooties.com. You'll need a supply as they wear through on hard surfaces quickly, so treat them as disposable. There are UK suppliers, but generally more expensive over here.Some dogs can be tenderfoots and more prone to sore feet, in which case, ALWAYS boot for running cool.gif

Thanks lyn, i think the breeder or vet cut his nails too short??? Do you think he will need booties even for half hour with bike? I guess some of the paths we go on are a bit rough!! As i see from your pic you run yours properly, do you think he is too young not to pull just to run with bike?? Thanks sorry about so many questionshuh.gif

Thanks Sarah, He is not full out running more jogging, I read on here you could run them for 5 mins for each month of age?? huh.gif We only go out in morning for 10 mins and then at night for about half hour, Went this morning at walk but nail started bleeding again so came home! Walking on grass for a few days it is then lol Thanks againsmile.gif

the 5 min rule applies to walking not running hun, 10 mins at his age is ok but wouldn't run for 1/2 an hour he's far too young just yet x