Retractable leads

lauraxxx29

No one is telling anyone not to use a retractable lead or a collar or a head collar (halti) for that matter... they are simpley saying it is dangerous to use and halti with a retractable lead!

Anyone is free to do whatever they like with their dogs and no one can say otherwise as it is their dog, but people are simply trying to offer helpful advise and point out what might be a dangerous idea or not if they want to ignor that advise then fine but please dont go in the steam room and blast other people for having and shareing an opinion that is different from yours!!! angry.gif

That's right - no one here is saying not to use retractable leashes, just that using them with a head collar is dangerous.

I am not being a know it all by the way - I have been told this by stockists of various brands of head collars, dog trainers and behaviourists, vets and canine chiropractors and more. If you are using a head collar with a retractable leash you are not using it correctly. Why use a tool like a head collar to stop the dogs from pulling if you are going to put them on a retractable leash which allows them to pull and go where they want anyway?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here one for u all huskies country of origin do u see them with collars and leads erm no

I'm sorry, I find it hard to understand that post, but I guess you mean that siberian huskies don't wear collar and leads in Siberia, or do you mean Alaska? I don't know if you follow the Iditarod race, but there was a dog missing for a long time this year, he got free and took off, thankfully he was found - by a plane I believe because they could see him in the wide open expanse. It was very nearly a different story, and he is lucky to be alive.

Yes, siberians were set free in the summer to hunt for their own food, but there were no roads for them to get run over, and there were no owned livestock for them to be shot for chasing. So, if you are seriously saying that we should treat our dogs the way the inuits do, then go ahead. When I win the lottery I will buy hundreds of acres of land and I will ensure that it is fenced to husky height and then yes, my dogs will be able to run freely in fields and forests. At the moment though, I will keep them under control as I live in a society with other people around me, who own cats and livestock and who drive their cars on the roads.

But please be clear, I am not telling you what to do, I wouldn't be that presumptiouswink.gif

was just sayin tht in days of land gone by dogs never had leads n collars nature ran its course without out intervention from humans it will and always will be the same its just nature, some of us like to play gods in different fields of life some work and some dont hence evolution learning and understanding different peoples abilities, no 2 people are the same and never will be

i had her on a normal lead to start with but she pulls my arm off already, i've got freakishly weak arms, i've tried using a harness and using a normal collar, same result and on a normal lead my hand was all tied up and hurt. So i started using a retractable lead with a handle, and i tried the halti that i already had on her. I pretty much just use the lead on the shortest (mine has a section of normal lead at the end before it going into the plastic bit) and just walk her down the park everyday.

She doesn't just bolt like you say if she sees something. The only thing that makes her try to pull is seeing other dogs, but i usually go up to them if they are friendly anyway, and she doesn't jerk herself about at alll, so i don't see the problem. I'll speak to my vet about it when i go there next month.

hey claire - thanks for clearing that up for me - i was just worried that if u let her have the full lenth of the lead ect and let luna go off here there and every where then she could damage her nect - but uve sed u keep the lead at a fixed lenth which is good :) - btw we rly dont see enuf pics ov luna ;) lol

You got to feel sorry for a Husky, not only are they not advised by some to be off lead its now not wise by some to have retractable leads! not every one runs there husky so the only type of excersise they get is either off lead or on a nice long Retracable one.

Do what feels is right for you, the only reson i dont put collars on Grey in simply for the fact they make him look stupid as he has thick fur around his neck, but he did use to where a collar and was on a retractable lead and i never had a problem! if he saw a cat he never picked up enough speed befor i locked the lead to stop him getting any further.....

tony no1 is sayin NOT to use a retractable we r just saying we wouldnt advise a retractable lead being used on a headcollar

i have never hear of tape ones?? What are they? were can you get them?

:)

they are just like normal nylon leads in the retractable thingy lol - so they r thicker instead ov the thin rope 1 so wont snap - you can probs get them from pets at home or you could try ebay :)

I have nothing against rectractable leads, I have a couple here that I sometimes use for guests. When my old dog Murphy was young we went for a day out to the New Forest with my brother and his family. My niece was about 9 at the time, she took Murphy for a little walk around on her retractable lead (Murph was a spaniel cross). Murphy saw something she liked, ran for it, jerked the lead out of my niece's hand, it bounced, then retracted as it went, bouncing up and hitting a woman in the facesad.gif So these things are very, very, very dangerouslaugh.gif Poor woman, she was very nice about it, it hit her in the forehead, and didn't cause any damage thankfully. Very embarassing though.

it is worth paying out for the large retractable ones, i got 5 different cheap ones from ebay that the breaks failed on, and then made the leads usless, i then payed for one in pets at home and fingers crossed it still works

I have nothing against rectractable leads, I have a couple here that I sometimes use for guests. When my old dog Murphy was young we went for a day out to the New Forest with my brother and his family. My niece was about 9 at the time, she took Murphy for a little walk around on her retractable lead (Murph was a spaniel cross). Murphy saw something she liked, ran for it, jerked the lead out of my niece's hand, it bounced, then retracted as it went, bouncing up and hitting a woman in the facesad.gif So these things are very, very, very dangerouslaugh.gif Poor woman, she was very nice about it, it hit her in the forehead, and didn't cause any damage thankfully. Very embarassing though.

Cheap ones can be very dangerous - there was a case in the last couple of years where a little girl was walking her dogs on one and the clasp broke and snapped back and hit her in the eye. I can't remember if she lost the eye completely or if she just lost sight. Obviously the brand was recalled, but I would be very careful only to buy very good quality ones and then to be honest using them on larger dogs makes me nervous (as does using any leash with a die cast chrome snap does).

Well i got a comfort retractable. I am using collar and lead for road walking (taking kids to school ect) but when out in the fields i am using her harness with the retractable lead so she can have some freedom. Just so she knows when to walk nicely and when she can have time off....lol. I live in a village with sheep, lambs ,chickens, all around me so have to keep her on a leash the farmer round here does not give any chances shots on site I know this as only last year a dog was shot due to being amongst his sheep.

I also would love for her to run free but just cannot take the risk. .......I am with winning the lottery and have an acre or two with high husky fence......lol. As for the shock thing got one on order thanks for that advice also good for my shoulder...lol

There was one field that she could be of leash but Akia found she could jump the fence when she chased a rabbit she went missing for half hour so never again.

Look at that cheeky face butter would not melt I so love her...

4591998463_0b3f839d6b.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry about dropping myself in the middle of an established conversation, but I'm curious - about what age is it safe/best to use retractable leads? I've heard that it's not a good for puppies, partly because the shorter leads are part of training. [Zoku's post]

Sorry about dropping myself in the middle of an established conversation, but I'm curious - about what age is it safe/best to use retractable leads? I've heard that it's not a good for puppies, partly because the shorter leads are part of training. [Zoku's post]

Thats a very good question.. I have always used one for my girl and her leash manners arnt the best but shes so little it doesnt matter to me if she pulls as shes not strong enough to do anything... but if you suspect your pup will get strong enough to pull you over I'd say use a short lead until you've tought proper lead manners (not pulling to much) then switch to a flexi for abit of freedom... you might want to try to get your husky to distingiush between the two by heel walking on normal collar and lead and then harness for flexi so the dog will know when it can go and do its thing and when it must walk nicely... my girl knows this as shes always on a collar for training class so she walks nicely and does as I say then switch back to harness she does what she likes lol!!! :)