Florida Husky Needs HELP

shadow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is crazy why did the owners of the poodle have teh savey to keep it on a leash. i will sign i think what they want is qiuet over the top. The only reason sakari is allowed off her leash is because she doe sexactly what she's told and not overly botherd by other dogs unless i say magic words of go on then.

I will sign

• 6 months later...

I'm a member of the Save Brandie Facebook group and received the following email earlier today and thought it best to share with you all:

Dear members of Save Brandie-

On November 16th, 3 new county commissioners took office in Broward. This means 3 new people who did not vote in the dangerous dog ordinance to begin with can be contacted and asked to amend the "One Strike You're Out" policy.

Commissioner LaMarca specifically has voiced his concern about the ordinance and helped draft a policy in Lighthouse Point when he was a city commissioner there that does NOT involve putting the so-called dangerous dogs to death.

We realize many of you have already written in before the new commissioners were in office and we truly appreciate it! We also know that everyone is busy and may not have time to draft their own e mail and this is why we've written one, but your own words would definitely be more effective. When people take the time to write in, the commissioners will see not only how their constituents feel about this ordinance that they had absolutely no say in but how others living OUTSIDE the county view the ordinance and those who adopted it.

Thank you once again for your help!

Below, please find a sample letter that you may copy, paste, sign and send to the following new commissioners:

clamarca@broward.org, bsharief@broward.org, dholness@broward.org

Dear Commissioners LaMarca, Sharief and Holness:

Since 2008, Broward County has had a Dangerous Dog ordinance in place that is a "One Strike You're Out" policy. This means that if when a dog kills another animal, it is pronounced "dangerous" and that dog is to be killed as well.

Many dogs have been put to death since the introduction of this ordinance.

I would like to express my objection to this being a "One Strike" ordinance and ask that it be amended so that it is more like the one the cities of Hollywood, Lighthouse Point and Coral Springs. Those ordinances have very specific procedures dog owners must follow if their dog has fatally bit another, none of which involve killing the dog.

There are several dogs on "Dog Death Row" at this time and there have been countless e mails written to the members of the previous commission asking to amend the ordinance retroactively so that these dogs can be given a second chance. I am of the belief that they are not, in fact, dangerous dogs. For example, in May of this year, a husky named Brandie was being walked on a leash in Coconut Creek, and was charged by another dog that was NOT on a leash. Brandie defended herself, but in doing so the other dog unfortunately died. Brandie is 10 years old, has arthritis, lives with a toddler, and had never hurt another animal or human previously. Brandie has been held by the county since the incident and is one of the dogs that may be killed under this ordinance.

Please take the time to read the ordinance so that you can see why it was brought before the 4th DCA on November 16th (Hoesch v. Broward County) where it was argued that the ordinance is actually unconstitutional.

Thank you.

Sincerely-

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy for all. I don't understand though that if the law says the dog gets the sentence if he is unprovoked, wouldn't we all agree that this Husky was definitely provoked by a little dog lunging at her after running from the house? And nothing, I mean nothing takes one second to happen, shame on the poodle owners.