Anyone use/used a furminator?

Sid_Wolf

Does anyone use a furminator? Or used one in the past?

What did you think of it?

I am getting one for Kira, someone on another forum mentioned that she had tried one on her LC GSD but it ripped some of his top coat, so chucked it in the cupboard never to be used again. I messaged her and we agreed t exchange it for some kong balls for her dogs biggrin.gif

Should be sending each others stuff tomorrow

Kong Balls. . .that conjours some images. . . lol laugh.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

We use one and love it! Akira also likes it she sits pretty while we do her back and sides and rolls over so we can get her belly biggrin.gif. It also gets so much hair off it looks like it is snowing in the yard and it does it way faster then any other brush we have used. It takes us about 10mins tops to brush her with it.

YES! I love the furminater! I don't have any experience with anything else so I can't compare it. But it works well on Smokey. You do have to keep pulling the hairs out while you run it through Kira's coat cuz it doesn't work well with hair stuck in it. And I wouldn't run it all the way across her back in one motion. Just do a small area near the back of her head first and work your way back as you pull the hairs out of the furminater. Let me know what you think once you've used it.

Thanks for the replies guys, im looking foward to trying it out. Wether I like it or not I dont mind, the kong balls were only £2.50 smile.gif Better than paying out £30 for one ohmy.gif

With the heat we're getting atm I reckon a major shed is imminant dry.gif

I have one in my cupboard gathering dust - don't like it at all, I could feel it sort of slicing the hairs when I used it, much prefer the undercoat rake & would never go back. I had the largest furminator, but it only has short sharp teeth, so felt it didn't get down under the top layer to get the fur out properly.

Be interesting to see what you think of it, Sid :)

i'm with val on this, mines just sat collecting dust i also have the large one but teeth not long inuf to get down to the under coat.

I'll stick with the rake, yes the furminator gets lots of fur out but is it the right fur ?? i felt more of the top coat was commin off rather than the under coat xxxx

I bought one this year and it does work well and gets the undercoat off quickly but I only use it once every week or so. I have found that the Furminator creates a lot of static but not seen any quantity of guards hairs come off although it is best to be gently with it and not furminate the same area repeatedly. Misty has a really thick coat and I also have a rake, comb and pin brush and have found a combination of all four seems to to do the trick. Both my girls prefer it to the other brushes - they really do not like the rake but I feel that it is more stimulating on the undercoat although not as good at removing it - if you see what I mean :-) .