hello

crabby1ne

Hello!I'm a newbie from Winnipeg, Canada.

We are the owners of a beauiful 6 year old Siberian/Malamute cross. We love our puppy and are frustrated beyond measure with the situation.

She is not eating the antibiotics for the infection in her leg.It battle of wills. Guess who is winning!

She has decided not to eat anything now. She spit up the Pill Pockets we tried. The vet says HER dog loves them!

I ground all of them up in a mortar and pestle and put them in the bottom of her bowl with a little people food and her regular dry food but she just sniffs it suspiciously and leaves it.

Unfortunately she is now refusing her regular medication for hypothyroidism as well now.In the last six months she has lost over 25 pounds and is almost at normal weight again.

Any tips or suggestions from your members would be gratefully received. Help!

Hello!I'm a newbie from Winnipeg, Canada.

We are the owners of a beauiful 6 year old Siberian/Malamute cross. We love our puppy and are frustrated beyond measure with the situation.

She is not eating the antibiotics for the infection in her leg.It battle of wills. Guess who is winning!

She has decided not to eat anything now. She spit up the Pill Pockets we tried. The vet says HER dog loves them!

I ground all of them up in a mortar and pestle and put them in the bottom of her bowl with a little people food and her regular dry food but she just sniffs it suspiciously and leaves it.

Unfortunately she is now refusing her regular medication for hypothyroidism as well now.In the last six months she has lost over 25 pounds and is almost at normal weight again.

Any tips or suggestions from your members would be gratefully received. Help!

Have you tried something like this, http://www.viovet.co.uk/p5296/Mikki_Pill_Giving_Gun/product_info.html, they allow you to 'shoot' the tablets into the throat making it harder for them to spit out.

Also can she see you when you are putting the medicine into her food? If so it might help to not let her see you doing it and acting like you are bother whether she eats her food or not when you give it to her.

When mixing it with food try to mix it will something that she likes that has a very strong smell. This might help cover the smell of the medicine.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Hiya Welcome 2 the group

Im sorry 2 hear ur havin problems with ur little 1, dog like children can sense if ur stressed an she could b picking up on ur anxioties about takin the pills. I know its hard an frustrating but as pack leader u hav 2 call the shots. I give my puppy her tablets ground up in a drink of watery milk but she is only little an as urs is 6 she is a lot more worldly wise an probably knows theres somethin funny in it

When i give my other dog an cats wormin tablet i put the tablet to the bk of there throat an rub there neck they automatically swallow the tablet it might work hope so

I hope u find a way which works 4 u keep us informed

xXx

Hi, Pat Welcome.

As the others have said hide the medicine inside something tasty n smelly, A tripe stick, they really stink. . .lol biggrin.gif

That'll help disguise the smell.

On a side note I'm in the U.K. but my Brother Ken has lived in Winnipeg for nearly 20 years.

He used to live about 10 mins walk from the St.Vital centre. He's moved since. tho'.

I've been out a couple of times, and loved every second.

If I won the Lottery I'd be bringing my Huskies permanently over there to play with yours, lol tongue.gif