Should I forget the dream? Dog alone during the day...

proximity

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to get my first husky, and have been researching extensively for the last couple of months rather than just jumping in boots first.

The one thing that I cannot get past, is the fact that between 7.30 in the morning, and 4pm in the afternoon - both my wife and I will be at work.

Has anyone come across a way around this? My thoughts so far based on bits and bobs I have come across are that getting 2, rather than just the 1 - could help here, so that they can keep each other company. Would this actually be enough though?

Other options I have considered are getting a walker to take them about half way through the day, would this help with the issues around separation? I'm not looking at a dog walker to replace my own exercise and time spent with him/her, between my wifes walking, and my running - each day we cover just shy of 20 kilometres and live very close to several dedicated dog parks (one of which is just a few hundred metres away!) - so I'm actually really looking forward to the extensive time spent here daily.

The other option I had considered is "doggy daycare" a couple of times a week.

I guess my confusion comes from not truely knowing how serious the issue is, and how managable it can be. I grew up with a German Shepherd which I adored to bits, and have been pining for a dog ever since; it is however only now that I've bought a suburban house that is suitable for one, rather than trying to coup one up in an apartment and moving around all the time. I've been very fond of Huskies for quite a number of years, and after spending some time at a friends house who owned a pure white Husky, I completely fell in love with the breed. The independant nature and stubborness reminds me completely of how my old German Shepherd used to behave, whilst the look is just breath taking.

Should I accept that for now, my lifestyle (in that my wife and I work during the day) is not compatible with owning a sibe and would put it under too much stress/anxiety - and forget the dream? Or is it actually viable and I am perhaps worrying for nothing? I would much rather hear your guys thoughts (no matter how harsh) first, than go out and try it anyway - only to bloat the numbers of a Rescue home sad.gif

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

- Charlie

i work 5pm-12am 5 days a week and I leave Embry alone, he usually does fine. A bit of seperation problems which i'm hoping to fix in the next six months with another puppy since I know that it will help with him getting bored. I think if you tried to get home on a break for a bit to walk him/her it'd be fine.

Im in college full time (8am - 6pm spent away) and my OH is on various shifts, ranging from 4 hours, to 10 hours, she is crated for that time. But wasnt as a puppy.

Once the dogis house trained its much easier, and crating is a godsend, otherwise you could come home to mass destruction. TBH kira does fine and she's an only dog smile.gif

A dog walker would be good to come in around midday, even if its just to let the dog out for a wee and a quick play smile.gif

If you cant take at least a month off work in the beginning though I'd go with an adult rescue rather than a puppy.

My sibe is pure white smile.gif Here's a pic:

post-685-13585952216978_thumb.jpg

post-685-13585952222039_thumb.jpg

I can only give you my experiances, we started with 1 husky and ended up with 3 lol but bot I and my husband work ans always have done.

If we are both at work the dogs are alone from 7 till 3 when i get home, i don't crate them so they do have the run of most of the house.

If one of you could go home at lunch time or if you got a dog walker in that would be great. There is always away around these things, so don't give up your dream just yet.

As the dog gets older maybe thing about an outside run, so you don't have to worry about the dog being locked up all day or any damage.

Hey Charlie

First welcome to the forums

secon

d well done for researching first before leaping into the Joys and tribulations of being owned by a Husky.

On a quick side note I have a friend who lives Just outside of wellington. . .small world eh?

ok your main thrust can we leave the husky alone for a long time. . . Short answer . . Not really

Sibes are social animals they love to be around people and other dogs and get VERY stressed if left alone.

This manifests itself in destruction of property and self harming. . Stripping the fur from the tail, chewing at feet and legs.

If you've seen the movie Marley and Me the destruction in the movie is the least you'll get from a stressed bored Husky.

if you have a secure back garden you could build a run. . Essentially a large caged area for them to be in while you are out.

Dog walker great idea. . .a sibe needs up to 6miles of walking per day. More exercise lessens the chance of boredom and its effects.

Possibly the best idea is to actually get 2 Huskies then they have company. . .you are not doubling the problem you could be eliminating it.

if you have 2 and combine that with the dog walker you might just get away with it.

Sorry for the extended lecture. . .but well you did ask. . Lol

We have two sibes, and can leave them alone in the house together just fine with no destruction. They're only 17 weeks old but as they have each other for company they don't wreck the place or make too much noise unless they're having a good old talk to each other! We have never left them for more than a couple of hours though so can't say what it would be like for a full day.

We only had one at first, but she was a nightmare on her own. Not only was she extremely demanding on both myself and my fiance for attention but we couldn't even leave her in one room of the house on her own for a few minutes without her going crazy, never mind leaving her alone in the house. We tried crating her and we tried just leaving her for a short period of time then building it up, but unfortunately due to our neighbours on one side having a severe lack of understanding regarding a distressed puppy and the noise we got another puppy due to them leaving us nasty notes and calling Environmental health :blink:

In some respects its a bit harder with the two, double the mess, double the training etc, but its also made things so much easier. Double the cuddles when they want fuss (I actually had three huskies climbing all over me giving me cuddles and licks earlier - our two puppies and the 14 month old we're currently fostering) but also the demand for attention is reduced as they have each other for company. We have our bedroom back as they now sleep happily in the kitchen at night, and we can go to the supermarket together again!

I would also recommend a dog walker for around midday if you can. A pup will need several feeds a day, so having someone to pop in if you can't would help - they could feed the puppy lunch, give them a quick walk and let them go to the toilet.

If you do only get one then you will need time and patience to get them used to being on their own. It is more than possible, but for the initial period I would suggest taking some time off work to work on getting the puppy used to being left alone and also for crate training. Again I would still recommend a dog walker for lunch time.

I would not give up on your dream of being owned by a husky, it's more than possible and the lovely folks around this site will always be on hand with advice for anything you need!

Thanks guys.

I'll be looking at getting a run made up and put in place, we've cleared a spot in our back yard that should be ideal (good mix of shade and sun, etc) - and by the sounds of your suggestions, it would be a good idea. Does anyone have any information or ideas around ensuring that a Run is optimal for them?

You've definitely given me some hope!

Thanks guys.

I'll be looking at getting a run made up and put in place, we've cleared a spot in our back yard that should be ideal (good mix of shade and sun, etc) - and by the sounds of your suggestions, it would be a good idea. Does anyone have any information or ideas around ensuring that a Run is optimal for them?

I would say as long as it's a decent size with shelter and shade it will be fine, but we don't have room for a run so I honestly don't know anything about them.

Wow Charlie - if only everyone, including myself, did the research and soul searching you have done I am sure most of the problems facing Husky rescue organisations would be cut drastically. Well done. Most people have to work, some longer hours than others but good training, and an understanding of the breed can eliminate most problems. If at all possible, I would seriously consider getting two huskies, they are very social and thrive with companionship. If you do decide to go ahead and get a Husky, he/they will be very lucky indeed to have an owner like you. Good luck and hope to see you around the forum :)

welcome to the site - cant add 2 what any1 else has sed really - have u thought about crate training? - ive bin rly lucky mym 1st sibe puppy never chewed - but he did have my older dog for company 2nd sibe puppy even tho shes got TWO dogs 2 play with she still chews abit - only seems 2 b when i leave the house tho - went out back for 2 minutes yesterday come bk in n she had ripped the wall paper off the wall LMAO also u cud rehome an older sibe that needs a home thaty way its LESS likely 2 b destructive if left on it own :)

Thanks guys.

If your going to be away I would say have ehe fence at LEAST 6ft, preferably 8ft, so they cant jump it. Have at least a foot of fence buried beneath the ground, or dog a whole, fill with concrete then put your fence, they are determinded diggers laugh.gif

Have a kennel so that they have somewhere sheltered, or a small shed that you take the door off.

Large water bowls put in a shaded area so they dont run out while your at work

Be away that they will dig, so dont expect to use the run area as a family garden space laugh.gif

A paddling pool in the summer

hi there i have 2 huskys and the most they are left is 6 hours which i do think is a lot but my dad comes in at lunch time to let them in the garden and make sure they have water etc ...he can t walk them as they are way too strong for him but wot he does is better than nothing ...so as otheres have said a dog waker would be a good idea or just someone to keep them company for a while inbetween u been out xxxxxbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

good luck for wen you get your furball(s) xx

kat

Welcome to the pack Charlie!biggrin.gif

I can only add to what the others have said. I had only one at first from pup and he was crate trained. I am out 8-5 for work Mon-Fri but my hubby works nights as well as training dogs during the day. He is about most days but sometimes he also has to go out for longer periods of time(as well as try to get some sleep!). Tikaani has always been great with his crate, has never cried or chewed or escaped. I do give him a bone to keep him occupied if i know he is going to be left for a few hrs.

Well done for doing so much research biggrin.gif Good luck x

hiya

welcome welcome welcome!!

well ozzy can be left for up to 8hrs a day, he isn't crated so has the run of most of the house but he likes to sit on the front window and watch the world go by (he has an electric fan too so he keeps cool) i have friend who comes in at least once a day to check his water and to let him out in the back for a bit and she sometimes takes him down to the school to pick up her kids.

ozzy doesn't chew anything, is house trained and i never come back to find the house in a mess (well apart from the fur of course!!!) we leave the radio on so there is some background noise for him.

he gets walked in the evening, played with a hell of a lot and then is run ragged over the weekend with us!!!

not much to add to the great replies already :)

Researching is key and as long as you know what you're letting yourself in for they are heartbreakingly amazing dogs to have. With the amount of walking / running you do - I would suggest re homing an holder dog rather than getting a puppy. It's highly not recommended to walk pups for too long when they're young as they're still developing and growing, too much exercise early in life can cause severe problems later in life.

I'd go for 2 - my two boys keep each other entertained and happy :)

Me and my husband are out of the house from just after 8am and we get home at 5.30 during that time the boys are crated and love their beds, hubby comes home at dinner for 45 mins and they have a run about the garden, then my stepdaughter is home at 3.15 and they're out for the rest of the night then. They get walked in the morning and again at night so still get the exercise they need.

As long as you can get someone to go in during the day to walk / feed / water them and give some attention you shouldn't have too many problems :)

Oh one more thing - if you do decide to get a husky - PLEASE post up some pics :D Everyone here is slightly mad for pics lol

Finally, welcome to the pack and look forward to seeing you around !! :D