Moulting

vinny1275

Hi gang,

Mickey's settling in nicely now, but I have a question about moulting. His coat is really soft and fluffy (I'm aware they have two coats), and he's started moulting - around his front legs and his belly, this soft fur is coming out quite quickly, leaving behind the rougher, longer fur. Is it normal for them to moult like this? He doesn't seem to be nibbling on his fur or anything, but it would be good to know what's normal - last weekend was really hot, which might have caused him to moult quicker?

Thanks,

Vince

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vince - yep sounds normal - My boys blow their coats from the back and work their way forwards but all huskies are different :)

You'll have a week or two now of having fur in your coffee and food lol good luck :D

Take him outside. . .on some grass and brush him thoroughly, once a day, even better if there is a breeze blowing to waft it away, but it will look like you've slaughtered a sheep smile.gif

Dakota started blowing her coat about a week ago, she's only 10 months old so it was our first real experience with it and oh my god is it everywhere :o . I've given up on hoovering till she's done (the fur just cloggs it up). We wake up in the morning with fur in our mouths and there's always a fur ball blowing around on the floor. She doesn't like getting brushed so I have to wait till she all tired out and sneak up on her :lol: I've stopped painting cause all the fur is sticking to the wet paint on the canvas (and she's started to eat my brushes). So how long do these last?? Also is there any other side effects they go through, we've noticed she's looking skinny but maybe it just because she has less fur?

It normally lasts about 2-3 weeks if you don't brush them - the more you can brush out the quicker it'll be over :D

Kimba only blew his a couple of months ago but i think because of the warmer weather we've had recently he's trying to go for it again ......sigh rolleyes.gif

(i do mine in the garden the birds take the fur for their nests xxxx)

We do too. Think birds that live near huskies have really comfy nests!

Lexy blew her coat to almost bald last autumn asnd it hasn't completely grown in - vet said was due to central heating but I wondered if it was about the time of her season - she really wants puppies and I read somewhere that they shed more when they whelp.

Anyone got any ideas or has this happened toyour female huskies?

So hopefully only another week then, it's amazing how much fur comes off them. I've to keep a clothes brush at my desk, my work clothes do be covered by the time I get in the office. She isn't eating as much but she can be fussy with her food anyway, not sure if it is to do with her moulting.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems to blow his coat all year...he is a wooly and I suspect part malamute but he just keeps shedding. He does seem to go through periods when it is worse...able to get handfuls of hair just by petting him. I try to get him with the furminator several times a week but we still have fur bunnies on the tile floor constantly. Is there any solution? Do the deshed shampoos work?