A sign of good hips?

aikibujin

As the weather is getting warmer, Polar has taken to lay flat on the ground in the prone position, almost like a little canine snipper. She does this on her own, I guess to get her belly close to the ground to cool off, and she seems to be pretty comfortable in this position. I seem to remember reading somewhere that dogs with hip dysplasia have problem extending their hindleg in such a fashion, so I'm just wondering if this is a sign that Polar has good hip?

med_gallery_975_180_78822.jpg

med_gallery_975_180_48675.jpg

med_gallery_975_180_31375.jpg

med_gallery_975_180_1145.jpg

Last picture, Polar sleeping with a bottle of frozen water, to keep her cool. :D

med_gallery_975_180_755.jpg

What you have basically got there is the same position a dog is placed in for a hip scoring xray, but with the dog on their belly as opposed to on their back for the xray, but same 'hips extended' position. It might not necessaraly indicate a good (low) hip score, but would be a position a dysplasic dog could find very painful and possibly wouldn't do. Two of the sibes here who do that have been hip scored: one is 4/4 (1 over breed average) other is 2/3 (2 under breed average) so both our 'frog-leggers' have decent hips.

Thanks for the Explanation lyn. . .Both My two lie "froggy" although not as straight out behind as Polar.

And isn't Polar just the most handsome Malbiggrin.gif

Now thats interesting. My sibe Diesel was hipscored at 13/12 so I'm always parnoid about him developing HD. However, he always lies like that, I call it his Superman position, with his front legs out of in front of him, it looks as though he should be flying a city somewhere:lol: Good to know that if he was having hip problems he couldn't lie like that.

A high hip score might not indicate nor end in a dysplasic dog :). As you can see from the green form the score is recorded on, it's based on several different aspects of the hip joint. Very easy for your 12/13 to accumulate from 2's and 3's in each section and while that suggests the hip anatomy is not as well-formed as the breed average, your dog might be fine and experience no problems, though I would be vigilant as he ages. A high score in one single aspect would indicate a more serious anatomical anomaly

• 2 weeks later...