Rescued Dog

Blackshears

Hello all,

Well we have been looking for a play mate for Missy and have been browsing craiglist every now and again. Today we found an ad that stated "pure bred husky free to a good home." There was no way in our right mind that we could pass this up. Arrangements were made and we met up with the guy and checked her out. She is a white husky with beautiful blue eyes but you can tell she has been outside and not well taken care of. She stinks really bad but her demeanor is great. She listens well and is great with our kids. At the moment she is out back and has escaped our kennel twice so she is an escape artist. Anyways she is really dirty, smells, ear hairs are super long and when we were getting information on the dog the previous owner said that he bred her and had a 6 month old male that he tried to get her to breed with. We were on the fence but this pushed us over so we scooped her up. We asked him for papers of any sort and he couldn't produce them. Tomorrow my wife is taking her to the vet to get vaccinated and checked up and then to the groomers to get hosed down and freshened up. It will be embarrassing to have her out in public because she wreaks but we had to take her. I'm praying that she doesn't hop or dig her way out of our backyard tonight before we can address the security of our kennel and her general health. Is there any other tips you guys can give us? By the way he says she is 6 years of age and is not yet spayed. We will get her spayed soon, but want to address everything else first.

Thanks for looking,

The Blackshears

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on your new pack member, poor girl just take one step at a time and please once she's nice and clean can we have pics, whats her name ????

Her name from the previous owner is Fairy, but with our cat named Pixie and in an effort to not make our pets seem like disneyland characters, my 4 year old daughter wants to call her pearl. We will try it out but if it doesn't work I have no issues with Fairy.

Kudos to you for re-homing her. Can't really add to what you are already doing, you seem to have it all covered. The vet would also be first on my list. Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing pics of her.

Her name from the previous owner is Fairy, but with our cat named Pixie and in an effort to not make our pets seem like disneyland characters, my 4 year old daughter wants to call her pearl. We will try it out but if it doesn't work I have no issues with Fairy.

i like Pearl, it's a cute name for a white husky

good job on taking her on......its such a shame she hasnt been taken care of very well by her previous owner....but good to know it hasnt really done to much mental damage to her.........what a relief you came across the ad when you did.........i hate seein and hearin about dogs like that :(

good luck sorting out the security in your back garden- sorry dont have any tips- still learning myself lol

hope everything goes okay for you at the vets- keep us posted!!

cant wait to see pics of her...she sounds amazin :)

Yay, welldone on rehoming this poor girly.

I'm sure once she's cleaned up and put on some decent food and starts learning some proper manners from Missy all will be well.

As for renaming her, as she's an escape artist remember it has to be a name you can BELLOW down the road as she legs it off into the distance.

If you don't feel comfortable screaming "FAIRY" down the road.

(and please consider the accidental lawsuits as people take you to court thinking you were "outing" them in the street lol)

personally I would be changing her name in a flash. Pearl is much better, but IMHO not much of a "Husky" name

(lol. . .then again my pooch "Darwin" isnt very "Husky" either. lol. . .but like you we rehomed him and promised his previous owners that we would keep it)

Good luck and well done biggrin.gif

As for renaming her, as she's an escape artist remember it has to be a name you can BELLOW down the road as she legs it off into the distance.

If you don't feel comfortable screaming "FAIRY" down the road.

(and please consider the accidental lawsuits as people take you to court thinking you were "outing" them in the street lol)

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Well done taking on a rescuebiggrin.gif. You sound like you are doing everything correctly. Here is a link for a secure kennel in the states. http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/pet-containment/pet-kennels-pens/welded-wire-kennel-10-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h-3606740. Mine are escape artists as well. I bought one if these with a top (made of the same material) and put it on a cement hard standing. I also used a chain on the door as Nikita worked out how to open the latch. Once I had all this escapes were a thing of the past.

oh congrats !! Taking on a rescue is so rewarding to see how they come to life in the right environment!! :)

Good luck at the vets :)

Never heard of the name Pearl for a sibe before - very original and imo better than fairy lol as andy says you don't want to be shouting that when you call her lol

can't wait to see some pics :D

Bad news everyone. The vet found out that she was 70lbs and we weren't quite sure why. We stepped into the examination room and we were hit with several bombshells. The first didn't alarm us too much, she had an abscess on her tooth. Next we found out that she had a really really bad ear infection, but nothing compared to what we found out next. The vet told us that she had a mass that was around 1 lb in her mammories. We immediately thought that is why the previous owner got rid of her. He told us he tried to breed her but she couldn't get pregnant. As we sat their thinking the vet told us because of her condition that it would be more humane to put her down than it would be to prolong the inevitable. So we ended up putting her down and my 4 year old daughter cried and screamed like her best friend just passed away. We only had the dog for 14 hours and it has changed us a whole lot. Pearl will be missed.

Oh how sad. Bless her and bless your daughter. What a horrendous issue to deal with. You did the right thing, still I'm sure it was very difficult. Run free Pearl.

oh no poor girl how awful for you all, i know you may not think this but there is a good side to this sad story and that is you did save her, with out you taking her home and and wanting to do your best by her, this lil girl could have suffered for years to come in the hands of her previous owner.

So i say thank you to you for saving pearl xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RIP lil girl run free and be happy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OMG, you poor thing, and the poor, poor dog.

However, as others have said, there is a positive to this very sad story. She won't suffer now, as she would have done if you hadn't taken her. Poor girl, if only he'd checked out why he wouldn't get pregnant, she could have been treated.

But, she died with dignity and not in pain, so thank you very much for what you did for her.