Addition to the Family

ericrdj

IMG_0129.jpg

Hey everyone. Since Twinkie arrived and left this house, mom and dad fell in love with Siberian Huskies.

Ever since Twinkie left, little did I knew that mom kept on scanning the net for siberian husky puppies.

This picture was taken earlier.

Mom and Dad told me that he'll be arriving next weekend after the cementing of the old swimming pool.

Now I'm ready. Vaccines are going to be in check this weekend.

I'll be looking for a Kong.

Anything else you guys might wanna add?

The puppy is a male. 2 months old.

His color is sable white(?) I'm really not sure yet. haha

I just have no Idea on what to name him yet

I'll be using some of Twinkies old stuff like her line. I'll be buying a new leash though

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bless he is stunning Eric i'm not sure on this so hoping some one can put me right, but i was always told after having distemper in the house you should not have another dog for at least a year ???? but as i say i'm not sure if this is true. So please if any one knows let us know.

It's good your getting his injections straight away Eric, he will bring joy back in to your house xxxxx

i just updated my post.

The Distemper has been circulating for over a year in my area now that I've known it.

Funny thing is, my domestic dogs, Chesca, Dino and Jade aren't even affected by it. :|

They don't have the Vaccines but they keep living a health life of 5 years(Chesca) 2 and a half years(Dino and Jade)

eric,

anything that twinkie used while she was ill, i would burn it as surely the bedding and stuff could harbour the bacteria???

and also what is the incubation period of distemper.

i wouldnt want any trace of it to be in my house before bringing a new and possibly more vulnerable pup into the house

good on you for getting the full vaccines for your new puppy and i hope to see more pix and to see you happy on here again

what Kelly means by whats the incubation period of distemper. . . perhaps Twinkie already had it when you got him, but did not present any symptoms for a couple of weeks after you got him.

Thats why your other three have not shown any signs. . . .If it has a long incubation period your other dogs might now have it but be not showing yet. . . better get them to the vets and get some blood work done.biggrin.gif

Distemper is caused by a virus. It can’t live for more than a few hours on objects, so things in your possession should be OK.

The incubation period is usually 1-2 weeks or so but I read it can be up to 4-5 weeks so your other dogs are NOT safe. I would have them seen by a vet and vaccinated.

I don't think it is possible to have gotten it from a dog who had it three years ago.

Some dogs have subclinical disease meaning they never show symptoms but are contagious. It is possible your other dogs should be quarantined, especially if they have never been vaccinated. I would highly worry about bringing a puppy into your house.

Sorry to be a downer but I would seriously have a conversation with your vet ASAP. Puppies are highly susceptible to distemper because they quickly lose any natural immunity they got from their mother. It takes the full series of shots to make them immune. Distemper is one of the reasons you don't want to expose puppies to dogs outside of their immediate environment until they have completed the full vaccination series.

Your new guy is just adorable:rolleyes: . I just don't want to see anything happen to him.

While I understand you and your family's desire to get another husky I truly believe that there are some actions that you need to take before doing so.

You need to have your other dogs vaccinated and then wait for a period of time before bringing another dog into the house. The following link says to wait one month but I would strongly recommend that you speak to your vet about it first.

http://www.vikingvets.com/factsheets/distemper.htm

I know this is not what you want to hear but it would be rather irresponsible of you to bring another dog into the house before taking all vet recommended precautions to ensure that they do not suffer the same fate as Twinkie. Vaccinating your other dogs is something you really need to do regardless of whether you get another dog or not. As you know that there is an outbreak of the distemper virus in the area. I am sure that you do not want them to suffer the same fate as Twinkie either.

Sorry if I am coming across a bit harsh but these are things that I think you need to know for your, your family's and your pets' welfare.

By the way, that pup is lovely, might be worth seeing if they can hold it for you while you sort things out. If you only have to wait a month that won't be too bad.

hey guys here's the verdict: The vet said I need to give an anti-distemper vaccine to the Chesca, Dino and Jade first.

I'm waiting for the owner's reply if the new puppy has been vaccinated by the 5-in-1 vaccine(any clue what's in that vaccine?)

because I need to wait for two weeks for it to be vaccinated again by the anti-distemper.

I've been cleaning Twinkie's old crate and mat. and I'll be cleaning it again by this week.

I think I'm going to dispose her old doggy bowls just to be sure.

Am I still missing something? please tell me if I am. A big warm thank you to Julie and dygosamikita :)

Your welcome hun, glad I could help.

The 5 in1 vaccine protects against Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, and Parainfluenza. It is also called the DHPP vaccine. There is also a 6 in 1, DHLPP, which protects against those listed and also against Leptospirosis.

Looks like you are covering everything now. Getting everyone vaccinated is the most important thing.

I hope everything works out and you can still get your pup, even if there is a slight delay.

Thanks Rachel. I'm going to resign from my job pretty soon so.. It's a good time for me to organize things up. :) I had plenty of opportunities to go to right now. But first I wanna make sure the puppy will have a long life.

I was just wondering. Twinkie had that 5-in-1 vaccine. How come the distemper caught up with her :(

I was just wondering. Twinkie had that 5-in-1 vaccine. How come the distemper caught up with her :(

Was it kept up-to-date? The vaccine has to be given every year.

As Distemper is a virus there are different strands of it, just like the flu virus in people. The vaccine is for the most common strand of the virus but there is a still a chance that they can get a mutated strand of the virus. For this reason the vaccines greatly reduce but do not eliminate the chances of catching the virus.

I have recently had this with one of my cats getting feline flu. He has been vaccinated since he was old enough to be and his shots have never lapsed but he still got the flu. Luckily it was too bad, runny eyes/nose and sneezing for 1- 1 1/2 weeks.

I would say the bowls are fine to use again, just give them a good wash in hot soapy water and they should be germ free.

ahhh...now I know. The vaccine was only given once. That's why the doc said I should bring the pup to him after two weeks.

I'm going to pick up the puppy after two weeks from when the 5-in-1 was given.

It's still raining today so I'm planning to give Twinkie's old crate and mat a rain bath for another cleaning up.

I'm going to pick up several items for the new puppy later too.

Lets remind every newbie (including me) to don't forget the booster shots.

I love you guys ^_^