sensitive stomachs, diarrhea

Blaze n Zac

i bet you have heard this loads of times, but i just dont know what to do next my dogs are on chicken and rice dry dog food and its ment for dog with senstive stomachs they have been on this food for bout 6months and for a few weeks they are fine firm stools but then they have a week of diarrhea then go back to bein firm stools and it keeps goin on like that even tho we not been feeded them any different, i have tryed the chicken n rice n pumpkin and then slowly add the dry food and it works but then few weeks down the line they had diarrhea again, i just dont know what to do next hope you guys can help me.

it's possible it doesn't agree with them? try reducing how much you feed - overfeeding is normally the cause of overfeeding x

Have they been wormed?

Sorry Sarah, I know I make loads of typos, but that did make me laugh :D

However, she is right, overfeeding is a cause of diarrhoea a lot, especially in sibes. How often do you feed?

Sorry Sarah, I know I make loads of typos, but that did make me laugh :D

However, she is right, overfeeding is a cause of diarrhoea a lot, especially in sibes. How often do you feed?

Oh fudge blink.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I know what i mean and i mean what i know tongue.gif

they cant get at nuthin in the garden cuz they are in a fenced yard with no plants in, they are wormed up 2date, i did think bout puttin them on raw food but thought it would just make them worse and they have 2 cup fulls in the morin and 2 cup fulls bout 4-5

4 cup fulls a day sounds like a lot, my lot all get 2 cups a day, one in the morning, one in the evening. Of course it all depends on the food and the size of the cup :lol: Have you weighed how much is in a cup, and then checked that against how much it says they should get on the bag?

sometimes it's parasites, too much food, wrong food, food too rich, feeding a dog over 6 months more than once a day. if these are ruled out it can be medical; allergies, missing enzymes or any number of things. See a vet. --Kelly

i bet you have heard this loads of times, but i just dont know what to do next my dogs are on chicken and rice dry dog food and its ment for dog with senstive stomachs they have been on this food for bout 6months and for a few weeks they are fine firm stools but then they have a week of diarrhea then go back to bein firm stools and it keeps goin on like that even tho we not been feeded them any different, i have tryed the chicken n rice n pumpkin and then slowly add the dry food and it works but then few weeks down the line they had diarrhea again, i just dont know what to do next hope you guys can help me.

We had some issues with Kiana in this area for a little while and thanks to great advice here got it fixed. I actually have noticed that Kiana gets runny stools when she eats more than her cup and a half kibble twice a day. You maybe overfeeding them. I would cut back to a cup in the morning and a cup at night and see how that gets on for a week or so and during the day if they are snackish or have had some good exercise treat them with cheese or my girls positively ADORE carrots. Something good for them that won't typically give the runs; oh or even some pieces of boiled chicken during training and such will be good treats and keep their stools going good while they adjust to the food change.

Sorta out of the blue here I don't know if anyone else's husky does this but if Kiana has a food that is low in I believe it was protein she gets the runs something fierce. If changing the quantity doesn't work after a couple weeks trying checking their protein content. Some huskies have trouble digesting protein I've heard. Just a random thought wink.gif

We had some issues with Kiana in this area for a little while and thanks to great advice here got it fixed. I actually have noticed that Kiana gets runny stools when she eats more than her cup and a half kibble twice a day. You maybe overfeeding them. I would cut back to a cup in the morning and a cup at night and see how that gets on for a week or so and during the day if they are snackish or have had some good exercise treat them with cheese or my girls positively ADORE carrots. Something good for them that won't typically give the runs; oh or even some pieces of boiled chicken during training and such will be good treats and keep their stools going good while they adjust to the food change.

Sorta out of the blue here I don't know if anyone else's husky does this but if Kiana has a food that is low in I believe it was protein she gets the runs something fierce. If changing the quantity doesn't work after a couple weeks trying checking their protein content. Some huskies have trouble digesting protein I've heard. Just a random thought wink.gif

Aronoiiel, if foods low in protien give your girl the runs its probabley because low in protien often means high in fillers such a wheat or grain.. this is the bit that will give your girl the runs as most dogs are actually alergic to wheats and grains not protien, thier bodies are perfectly adapted to eat protien as they are carnivores! :)

We have had problems during his first year and here is what I can say

Only super premium, grain free food ($$$$) EVO, and Instinct is what works best for us. He is 59lbs and gets 3/4 cup kibble in the morning and 3/4 cup kibble in the evening, and doesn't always eat right away, but we also have very high quality, high protein, and all natural treats, including raw marrow bones, chicken breasts, bully sticks, beef tracheas, beef liver, Wet Noses treats,BaBaQues (lamb lung), etc. He loves cottage cheese, and yogurt and canned pumpkin seem to help, also have Proviable DC capsules we give him if he starts to get runny. He also eats bugs, moths, spiders, grass, and who knows what else sometimes when he is in our fenced in back yard.

Big things to stay away from - any food with corn in it, and rawhides

try a different brand of kibble, it could be an ingredient in there upsetting their stomachs.

tbh i think people make work for themselves keeping their dog on one specific brand of dog food.

years ago dogs survived on scraps, then scraps and biscuits, then modern food, and more dogs seem to get upset stomach because of the fillers etc..

when micha was a pup we fed her on what the breeder fed her, and she had bad guts for a few weeks, then whenever we went out she would scavenge things from the floor, the pet shop ran out of the food we were feeding her so we changed her to something else.she had soft stools for a day but was fine.

she raids the cats food when she can if someone leaves the door open. she once found something that was buried in the mud and so so rotten, i took it from her but got bitten in the process (by accident).

since then she has had a cast iron stomach, and i can feed her anything, and suki is the same

i prefer to feed her meat and kibble and bones, but she also eats the cats food when she can. will eat anything interesting she finds when she is out. even veg.

i can honestly say my 2 can eat anything without it causing problems.

i am not recomending this to anyone it is just my observation so please don't flame me

try a different brand of kibble, it could be an ingredient in there upsetting their stomachs.

tbh i think people make work for themselves keeping their dog on one specific brand of dog food.

years ago dogs survived on scraps, then scraps and biscuits, then modern food, and more dogs seem to get upset stomach because of the fillers etc..

when micha was a pup we fed her on what the breeder fed her, and she had bad guts for a few weeks, then whenever we went out she would scavenge things from the floor, the pet shop ran out of the food we were feeding her so we changed her to something else.she had soft stools for a day but was fine.

she raids the cats food when she can if someone leaves the door open. she once found something that was buried in the mud and so so rotten, i took it from her but got bitten in the process (by accident).

since then she has had a cast iron stomach, and i can feed her anything, and suki is the same

i prefer to feed her meat and kibble and bones, but she also eats the cats food when she can. will eat anything interesting she finds when she is out. even veg.

i can honestly say my 2 can eat anything without it causing problems.

i am not recomending this to anyone it is just my observation so please don't flame me

Rotation of foods is highly recommended by most of the people I would call knowledgeable - here is a good link for anyone interested

http://www.naturesvariety.com/rotation

i have had the exact same problem with my dog, we had him to the vets an they recommended we tried him on royal canin sensitivity control, it is a vet prescribed diet so you wont find it in you usual pet shops, but you can buy it online or get it from your vets, it isnt cheap but it worked a treat with our boy

I found Blue Buffalo to be a wonderful food for my baby. It is all natural, no fillers or by products. It stopped any issues he had. :-)

And he gets chicken jerky for treats. 100% natural, all white chicken breast..no dyes.

The food and the treats aren't that much more than other brand name foods or treats.