Niko needs to put on some weight!!!!

AnNi3

Niko is looking a bit skinny now hes dropped his coat. He needs to gain a little weight, hes currently on dry food as that agrees with him the most. Now hes on eukanuba 2 and a half cups a day, this is obviously one of the most expensive foods, could he go on something a little cheaper and have rice and pasta with that? Or do i stick with the eukanuba and add some pasta and rice.

What do you people feed your huskies on a dry food diet? I dont particularly fance a raw diet to be honest

Many thanksrolleyes.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

mine has wainwrights kibble - when they have it - u can get a 15kg bag for about £30 not sure if thats cheaper or not?? - why dont u like raw??

Ive never had a dog or known a dog thats been on raw, Ive had a glance at a raw diet but it looked a bit confusing and quite expensive to me but im not clued up on that kind of diet. I went for a good kibble with pretty much everything in. Hes on 15kg eukanuba bag at £54

which lasts him 5/ 6 weeks???

Its obviously not quite giving him everything as hes a little on the skinny side (you can feel his backbone when you stroke him)

mine are on raw - n b4 we joined this forum we didnt no dogs cud eat raw meat - didnt have a clue about them being able 2 eat raw chicken wings - mine just have a bowl ov raw meat in the mornin n then another later again that night - u can get off cuts from butchers they will usually sell cheap because no1 wants it - or if you look in pets at home they have their freezer section where they sell blocks ov meat (beef fish chicken ect) or bags ov meat (chicken mince beef mince tripe chunks ect) they arent expensive either

Rather thatn just going on your. . .human instinct. . .please read this

This is by Sinead AKA Sid-Wolf

This will give you REAL. . .SOLID info as to why you should consider feeding RAW.

it will change your Huskies well being. . . biggrin.gif

They all look thin when they drop their coats, i have two on raw food and one on cooked meat as wont touch raw. rice and pasta are just fillers as far as i know so wont help put weight on.

Why not just try a few chicken wings at nite and keep him on dry, you don't have to change to a full raw diat xxxx

Ok, thanks for that, im not clued up on the whole raw diet but he is in need of a little extra i think!! By a bowl of meat how much weight wise would that be roughly??

Another thing if i keep him on a kibble maybe wainwrights,..ive heard a lot of peple on here using it, as its a little cheaper that eukanuba. Then over the week mixing in either raw mince, any scraps of meat thats been cooked and not used up, eggs, pasta and maybe some veg?? Would adding one of those to a meal a day help at all? Hes got a good appetite and will eat pretty much anything laugh.gif.

Cheers for the help guys ive had a read on raw and i think im going to do half and half and maybe eventually go on to raw depending on how i go.

A couple of quickiestongue.gif,

How much raw would you add to his daily kibble?

and these freezer packs from p@h are they good/ as good as butchers ect? some things from p@h can be full of rubbish

They all look thin when they drop their coats, i have two on raw food and one on cooked meat as wont touch raw. rice and pasta are just fillers as far as i know so wont help put weight on.

Why not just try a few chicken wings at nite and keep him on dry, you don't have to change to a full raw diat xxxx

Raw? on the bone?? many thanks for the advice as im not very clued up on this!!! Im having a good look around!! xxx

i dont add raw 2 their kibble they have their raw n a bowl ov kibble is down for when they r peckish lol - like linda said tho if u prefer kibble u DONT have 2 change it u cud just givehim a couple ov chicken wings once a day - or like u sed mix in abit ov mince with his kibble - wouldnt know what amounts tho as my parents feed the dogs - it shud have guidelines on the back ov the packets tho

i dont add raw 2 their kibble they have their raw n a bowl ov kibble is down for when they r peckish lol - like linda said tho if u prefer kibble u DONT have 2 change it u cud just givehim a couple ov chicken wings once a day - or like u sed mix in abit ov mince with his kibble - wouldnt know what amounts tho as my parents feed the dogs - it shud have guidelines on the back ov the packets tho

Thanks i will try him on a few bits but i have to say i do prefer kibble but i dont know if thats just convinience but he is happy on that, but i will give him some more extras from now on! He does love a raw egg and meat scraps but hes never had anything raw meat wise.

Raw and Kibble should not be mixed or fed near the same time.

Kibble takes longer to process than meat so the Stomach and bowels are ready to move the meat refuse on before the kibble is processed. . . result is RUNNY POO.

Always feed them as seperate meals i.e. kibble in the morning and meat in the evening. or vice versa whichever you prefer.

That way the stomach has the time to process each properly.

Also free feeding isn't advised as Huskies will eat and eat and eat. . lol

and overfeeding also results in RUNNY POO

Also (2) feeding raw chicken wings. . .which most of us RAW feeders do. . .

Yes the whole wing bones and all, they love to crunch the bones and the crunching helps clean the teeth.

however never feed COOKED chicken bones i.e. KFC etc cooked chicken bones splinter lengthways which can stick in

the throat or stomach.

RAW bones break and crunch which is fine.

Hope this helps.

lol mine dont eat n eat n eat - suprisingly even tho skyla LOVES her food even tho kibble is down she wont just eat it cuz its there

n blaze never reallly eats much anyway

but thats mine - others shud take this advice if theyve got a dog that WILL just eat constantly if they can

Thanks a lot for that andy, thats helped loads, i didnt think of separating the kibble and meat to completly different meals, i will try that way i think how many chicken wings would you give as a rough guide as to not over feed, and i take it i can cut his kibble down to about a cup and half? Working it out as a meal of each his kibble is going to last twice as long and he will benifit from the raw meat which wont really cost a lot if hes not having as much of the kibble.

This is all great thanks everyone who has helped, ive never thought of raw until now grinning-smiley-003.gif

Ive never had a dog or known a dog thats been on raw, Ive had a glance at a raw diet but it looked a bit confusing and quite expensive to me but im not clued up on that kind of diet. I went for a good kibble with pretty much everything in. Hes on 15kg eukanuba bag at £54

which lasts him 5/ 6 weeks???

Its obviously not quite giving him everything as hes a little on the skinny side (you can feel his backbone when you stroke him)

The breeder where i'm getting my pup feeds his eukanuba, and put me onto http://petshopexpress.co.uk/, average around £38 for 15kg, prices varies slightly on which food you buy. Quick delivery too, mine turned up in 2 days. Should save you a few quid if you keep feeding that.

my two have 3 chicken wings with their kibble and i have never had runny poo from any of them xxxx

Agreed Linda, at 2 & 3 old years like the Norse Gods. . (lol) most huskies have got thier cast iron stomach in place.

but Annies pup is only 6 months old, so probably best to keep it sepearte till she's a bit older.

Just a thought. smile.gif

it says Niko is 1 year 8 month Andy ??????

Sorry Linda. . . blink.gif

I had also responded to TWEDZZ post in Feeding Raw 2, THAT pup is 6 months old. . lol

Two similar threads at the same time.

Me Dumbass. . . rolleyes.gif

Raw and Kibble should not be mixed or fed near the same time.

Kibble takes longer to process than meat so the Stomach and bowels are ready to move the meat refuse on before the kibble is processed. . . result is RUNNY POO.

Always feed them as seperate meals i.e. kibble in the morning and meat in the evening. or vice versa whichever you prefer.

That way the stomach has the time to process each properly.

Also (2) feeding raw chicken wings. . .which most of us RAW feeders do. . .

Yes the whole wing bones and all, they love to crunch the bones and the crunching helps clean the teeth.

however never feed COOKED chicken bones i.e. KFC etc cooked chicken bones splinter lengthways which can stick in

the throat or stomach.

RAW bones break and crunch which is fine.

Hope this helps.

Andy, its the other way around... the kibble goes through like the clappers coz theres very little nutrition in it, thats why a pup on kibble will poop more often, RAW goes through slower coz the dogs body is getting every bit of nutirtion it can out of it.

AniNi3, if you dont like the idea of feeding raw their are things you can give him to help build him up which are less fussy than a whole raw diet, a raw egg shell and all in his kibble is fine good source of calcium. A tin of sardines or other fish in sunflower oil can also be given as a snack in between feeds the fish oils are really good to help put on a bit of extra weight and the omega 3 helps make their coats shine. Small amounts of peanut butter in a kong toy will help boost his calorie intake and keep him entertained for ages as well!! And as mentioned 2-3 raw on the bone chicken wings or 1-2 chicken thighs are cheap to pick up from the butchers or in asdas cheap meat section and help to beaf up an under weight pup (just never give cooked bones of any kind as the cooking makes them brittle).

Hope thats helped! :D