Dogs dumbed down by domestication

Damrod

hmmmm "The loss in skills appears to be "hardwired" genetically into dogs, helping to explain why homeless dogs struggle to survive."

DO homeless dogs struggle to survive?

"Wolves will outperform dogs on any problem-solving tasks that are non-social," Smith said. "Dogs are great at social tasks — communicating with humans, using humans as tools, learning from humans via observation — whereas wolves are much better at general problem solving."

The environment plays a big part in any lifestyle, be it human or animal i think, in a lot of respects

psh I think that's a load of hog wash the feral dogs I've seen form packs and work as a group to get food and form pack orders just like wild canines do. That's just my opinion though while certain breeds or genetic lines may seem like they are not as smart depending how you raise the dog to be truthfully honest most of them will most likely survive out there on their own; which is a terrible thing to say but if it comes down to it they will survive through pure instinct. I really don't believe you can "breed" that out of them.

Interesting article Mike ^_^

I wonder if they tested different breed of domesticated dogs, and if Huskies were included? Our Husky is great at solving things he shouldn't wink.gif

He figured out how to come in from the outside by using his nose to open the screen door, but he doesn't close it after he comes in which would be a much easier task - hmm, I wonder why? Perhaps because he sees no point in closing the door? biggrin.gif

I wonder if they tested different breed of domesticated dogs, and if Huskies were included? Our Husky is great at solving things he shouldn't wink.gif

He figured out how to come in from the outside by using his nose to open the screen door, but he doesn't close it after he comes in which would be a much easier task - hmm, I wonder why? Perhaps because he sees no point in closing the door? biggrin.gif

You know - my 2 do the same thing!! lol

they open the door and waltz right in but dang it i wish they'd close the door!! especially in winter lol

What the study is talking about is the difference in a dog and dingo or wolf's non-social problem solving ability.

As the article explains;

"Wolves will outperform dogs on any problem-solving tasks that are non-social," Smith said. "Dogs are great at social tasks  communicating with humans, using humans as tools, learning from humans via observation  whereas wolves are much better at general problem solving."

It's not saying that dogs have NO problem solving ability but that domestication has made them more inclined to work well with people and less likely to be as good at non-social problem solving than wild animals. Compare this to wild animals who for generations and generations learn to be self sufficient. This is not a bad thing - after all, we want our dogs to look to us for guidance. It's also not saying that dogs can't become wild and fend for themselves, but that non-domesticated species would probably be better at it.

psh I think that's a load of hog wash the feral dogs I've seen form packs and work as a group to get food and form pack orders just like wild canines do. That's just my opinion though while certain breeds or genetic lines may seem like they are not as smart depending how you raise the dog to be truthfully honest most of them will most likely survive out there on their own; which is a terrible thing to say but if it comes down to it they will survive through pure instinct. I really don't believe you can "breed" that out of them.

Interesting article Mike ^_^

I think it depends on the breed or type of dog. A GSD would be more likely to survive in the wild than, say, a pug.

Thats Pugist!!! :P

ROFLMAO.

Although I agree with what Bec is aiming at we "Humans" have De-evolved some breeds of dog to such an extent that should

there be some non-nuclear and non massive climate change catastrophe small breeds such as pugs would have great difficulty in adapting back to the wild.

They would probably end up as "prey" for the larger breeds.