British Justice System

Lil Miss Bump

You see, I can see why the Judge would do that. The Home Secretary set the 50 years, but really politicians shouldn't be in charge of justice in any country I don't think, too open to abuse of power. They didn't say he would be released after 40 years, just eligible for parole then, he got a life term, which I believe should mean life, so hopefully he will never be released. But, I strongly believe that politicians shouldn't be involved in things like this, they have to be re-elected, so will treat the high profile cases differently. Anybody that murders someone should be treated the same, why should one person get a lighter sentence because its not in the media - the family still feel the same loss. Just my humble opinion:D

my son was attacked by 6 youths. he knew them all and his girlfriend who was with him knew them all also, he named them all to the police he had photos of his injuries, his face was massively swollen, i never saw anything like it.

he had multiple foot prints on his body, a mark round his neck where they tried to rip of his solid silver chain they had him down on his knees kicking him in the head and upper body.

his girlfriend was screaming to stop your killing him.

the reason they attacked him, they where bored and out of their heads on drugs and alcohol.

they all came round here and threatened to burn our house down if we told the police then went round my sons GF house and threatened to kill her and burn the house down.

they where all arrested, but it never went to court. the police said something about 2 much time had passed.

several of the youths involved got glassed after a party, the rumours ran rife and one of the boys older brother tried to attack me, but failed after i swept his feet from under him after he swang for me and he fell to the floor.

i got charged and found guilty of assault and got a years suspended sentence.

now over a year has passed, 2 are in jail, and 1 died from a bad reaction to a pill. you gotta love that karma.

so yes i agree the justice system is laughable.

if you look at the figures and the other cases non high profile then you'll see he's actually been treated more leniently.

life doesn't mean life anymore.

people get put away for small insignificant things and then people that re-offend are actually treated more leniently-it's bizzarre.

Thats what I mean, if the home secretary had stayed out of it in the first place, he would have been treated the same as everyone else.

I knew a teenage boy that got caught shoplifting from a well known shop. The youth offending team met with him and suggested that he do litter picking outside the shop to show he was sorry for what he did. The boy said he didn't want to, cos it would be too embarassing if any of his mates saw him - the yot said they could see his point of view, so if he could just write a nice letter of apology instead ........

What can you do?

oh god david im so sorry to hear about that, it sounds awful but because of the work i do in prisons and the case work i've done that doesn't shock me at all.

i have a lot of different opinions on different things but one sweeping statement to treat every offence the same is laughable. there are always different circumstances and events that lead up to different offences, about 2% of cases are open and shut. this is why judges discretion is so important.

i bet you feel like you have been completely failed by the justice system :-(

i just wish that the big wigs would take some notice of the people on the floor in the prisons that KNOW how and who should be treated in certain ways.

rah! it makes me mad when people just make sweeping statements......it's like when someone says 'what do you think about this case.......' and they've made an opinion purely on what the Daily Mail (no comment!) or another newspaper has said!!!!

Thats what I mean, if the home secretary had stayed out of it in the first place, he would have been treated the same as everyone else.

I knew a teenage boy that got caught shoplifting from a well known shop. The youth offending team met with him and suggested that he do litter picking outside the shop to show he was sorry for what he did. The boy said he didn't want to, cos it would be too embarassing if any of his mates saw him - the yot said they could see his point of view, so if he could just write a nice letter of apology instead ........

What can you do?

i work with YOTs and i agree sometimes what is decided is a joke.

it's going to sound really arcaeic but if you bring back national service and the death penalty an awful lot of problems would be lessened (note how i say lessened not solved!)